Peppermint and chocolate are a match made in heaven, and the flavours combine perfectly in this recipe to create a sweet and slightly refreshing vegan mint chocolate cupcake.
Vegan mint chocolate cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 1 1/2 cups (225g) organic plain flour
- 1/2 cup (75g) organic fairtrade cocoa powder
- 2/3 cup (170g) unrefined organic golden caster sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup (250ml) almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 1/2 cup (112g) vegetable shortening
- 1 tsp mint flavouring
- 1 1/2 cup (225g) icing sugar
- 1-3 tbsp almond milk
- A couple of drops of green food colouring
- 60g dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180c/360f and line a 12 hole muffin tray with cupcake cases.
- Stir the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and mix together the wet ingredients in a jug.
- Slowly pour in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, whisking together until just combined.
- Fill the cupcake cases about 2/3 of the way up with the mix and bake for about 15-20 minutes until they have risen. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick to make sure they are baked all the way through.
- Leave the cupcakes on a wire rack to cool completely before making the frosting.
- To make the frosting: Beat the shortening until light and fluffy.
- Add the mint flavouring to the shortening and beat again, slowly add the icing sugar a bit at a time. Whisk the ingredients together, adding just enough almond milk to make a pipe-able frosting.
- Use a piping bag to create swirls of the mint frosting on top of each cupcake. Decorate the cupcakes with dark chocolate chips and enjoy!