Crispy Vegan Tofu, Leek & Chilli Stir-Fry Recipe
Want dinner in just 20 minutes? This crispy tofu and leek stir-fry is about to become your new go-to midweek vegan meal! Making the most of leeks at their best, this easy dinner is a great meal for the colder months thanks to the chillis giving it a warming kick.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Famously associated with Welsh Saint David, the leek has been cultivated and used for cooking for more than 3,000 years. During the Middle Ages it was the original health food, high in fibre, good for purging the blood, keeping colds at bay, healing wounds and alleviating the pains of childbirth.
Leeks are one of the few indigenous British vegetables that are ‘in season’ throughout the Autumn and Winter months. They are also great for our health, a natural pre-biotic they feed the healthy bacteria in your gut, while also being a natural antioxidant and a good source of folate and Vitamin B.
In partnership with British Leeks, vegan food blogger Lucy Parker @lucy_and_lentils, has created this tofu and leek stir-fry to celebrate leeks, which are in season throughout the Autumn and Winter months in the UK. Enjoy!
Total Time: 20 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 0.5 0.5 small leek, sliced thinly
- 0.5 0.5 thumb sized piece of ginger, finely chopped
- 1.5 1.5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 2 radishes, thinly sliced
- 0.5 0.5 red chilli, thinly sliced
- 0.5 0.5 green chilli, thinly sliced
- 0.5 0.5 lime
- 100 100 g tofu, 2cm cubed
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 40 40 g Udon noodles or wheat noodles
- 1 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 1 Tbsp tamari (sub for soy sauce)
- 0.5 0.5 tsp mirin
- 0.5 0.5 tsp brown sugar
- Add 1 tbsp sesame oil to a wok, place on a high heat
- Once hot add the chilli and ginger and fry for a few minutes before adding the garlic and tofu
- In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, mirin, sugar, squeeze of 1/2 lime and remaining sesame oil then add to the wok
- Add the udon noodles to a pot of boiling water and simmer for five minutes
- Toss the wok allowing each side of the tofu to cook then add in the thinly sliced radish and leeks, 1/2 the sesame seeds then add in the cooked noodles with a splash of the water from the pot, and fry together on a high heat for the final 2-3 minutes
- Garnish with 1/4 lime, a sprinkle of sesame seeds. We recommend serving with chilli crisp oil*
Hungry for more?
Here are 21 easy vegan tofu recipe ideas that are anything but bland