Crème brulée is one of our all-time favourite desserts – who could resist this silky vegan vanilla custard pudding topped with a satisfyingly crunchy sugar topping? Not us that’s for sure!
Vegan crème brulée
- 1 tin of coconut milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 2 We Are Tea chamomile tea bags
- 300 ml almond milk
- 3 tbsp heaped tablespoons of cornflour
- 4 tbsp icing sugar
- caster sugar (to finish)
- To start heat the coconut milk over a low heat in a saucepan. Pop the chamomile tea bags & vanilla pod (with the seeds extracted) in too.
- Separately, add the almond milk to a bowl and whisk in the corn starch & sugar.
- Then add the milk/cornflour mixture to the coconut milk and continue to whisk over a low heat until the mixture has thickened. This should take around 4 minutes.
- Next, carefully pour the custard mixture into your chosen ramekins (a ramekin is a small dish for baking and serving an individual portion of food)
- 5. Individually cover each ramekin with cling film, making sure to place the cling film directly onto the custard – this stops a skin forming. Place the covered ramekins into the fridge to set for at least an hour or until you’re ready to serve.
- Before serving, remove the clingfilm & sprinkle over sugar. Either caramelise the sugar using a blow torch or place the ramekins under a grill for around 4 minutes.
This article contains affiliate links.
We Are Tea’s range of teas are steeped in sustainability credentials, they are the first premium tea company to remove paper tags from their entire range #TreesBeforeTags. What’s more, every tea bag is made from cornstarch and sealed with ultrasound making them 100% biodegradable. This year will see them go completely plastic-free across the whole of their packaging and supply chain, get ready for their Plastic Free Partea!
So, what are you waiting for? Sit back and let We Are Tea take you on a whole leaf, ethical, and most importantly, delicious tea journey. Let’s get brewing!