Vegan Creamy Pumpkin Pasta
This creamy pumpkin sauce, infused with gorgeous garlic and sultry sage, makes the perfect addition to an autumnal pasta dish
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
This creamy, flavourful pasta dish is a wonderfully warming treat for the autumn months, and it’s easy to make.
It’s filled with the comforting flavours of garlic and sage, and it’s a great way to use up leftover pumpkin after carving a Jack O’Lantern.
Alternatively, use canned pumpkin puree and you can enjoy this comforting fall treat all year round!
How to cook a carved pumpkin
Making the pumpkin puree for this recipe couldn’t be more simple. You only need one ingredient – the pumpkin!
Simply boil, steam, or roast your carved out pumpkin pieces until they’re nice and tender, then puree the pieces in a food processor, blender, or with a stick blender.
You can add a pinch of salt or a smidge of seasoning (like cinnamon, ginger, cumin, or nutmeg) if you like, but this pumpkin pasta recipe adds plenty of flavour to a plain puree.
Which pasta should I use?
You can use any pasta you like for this dish! But remember, not all pasta is vegan so always read the label.
We’ve used a long linguine for this dish but you can use your favourite pasta shape. It also works well for whole wheat pasta, gluten-free pasta, and vegetable-based pasta (like spinach pasta, or lentil pasta).
For a really satisfying dish, you could also use this sauce for a plant-based ravioli dish.
Total Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 112.5 112.5 g pumpkin puree, or cooked pureed pumpkin
- 60 60 ml coconut cream, or soya cream
- 2.5 2.5 cloves garlic, minced
- handful sage leaves
- 85 85 g dried linguine
- 60 60 ml vegetable stock
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions
- Heat oil in a pan and lightly fry the sage leaves until aromatic.
- Remove sage leaves and set aside to drain on kitchen roll
- To the same pan add the minced garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add pumpkin puree and cream to the garlic and mix
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for a few minutes, stirring occasionally. (If sauce is too thick add a bit of vegetable stock to your desired consistency)
- Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and mix well .
- Serve topped with sage leaves.
Got more pumpkin to use up? Try one of these autumnal vegan pumpkin recipes
Featured photo © bhofack2 via Getty Images