Vegan Cranberry Pecan Pie
Celebrate Thanksgiving with this extra-special vegan cranberry pecan pie recipe. This sweet vegan pie recipe is flavoured with orange rind and cinnamon making is a delicious vegan dessert for Christmas too.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Pecan pie is famous on Thanksgiving so we’ve put our own twist on this classic recipe with this irresistible vegan pecan pie recipe.
As well as being a good source of vitamin C, cranberries are commonly made into a sauce to accompany a roast. However, as we vegans love to break with tradition, this vegan pecan pie recipe uses cranberries to make a special vegan dessert instead.
There is a symphony of ingredients that combine together to create this warm, spiced, sweet and decadent vegan pie. The orange rind and cranberries taste and smell divine, and your whole house will smell delicious too.
The cinnamon and ginger bring warmth and spice, and vegan brandy, which is optional, adds richness to the filling. This is a dynamic but harmonious vegan pecan pie recipe that is fit for special occasions.
The pecans have an important part to play in this pie recipe because they are also a good source of calcium, magnesium and potassium for a balanced vegan diet.
Our vegan cranberry pecan pie is best served warm with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream.
Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- For the dough:
- 8.3333333333333 8.3333333333333 grams vegan margarine
- 25 25 grams plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2.5 2.5 grams icing sugar
- For the filling:
- 5 5 grams dried cranberries
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 grated rind and juice of orange
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 Tbsp vegan brandy (optional)
- 20.833333333333 20.833333333333 grams pecan nuts
- 25 25 ml maple syrup
- 16.666666666667 16.666666666667 ml soya milk
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 tsp cinnamon
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 tsp ginger
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 tsp linseed meal (ground golden linseeds)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5.
- Place the cranberries in a small bowl with the orange juice and brandy, if using. Set aside for at least an hour to plump up.
- To make the dough, rub the margarine into the flour in a large mixing bowl and then stir in the icing sugar. Gradually add sufficient cold water to make a soft dough. Roll the dough out on a floured board and use it to line a 20-cm/8-inch flan tin. Put the pecans into the pastry case and bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Put the maple syrup, soya milk, vanilla extract, cinnamon, ginger and orange rind into a medium saucepan over a low heat. Simmer gently for 5 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Remove the pastry case from the oven but leave the oven on. Use a slotted spoon to remove the cranberries from the soaking liquid and arrange them on top of the pecans. Stir the linseed meal into the remaining soaking liquid and then stir this into the maple mixture.
- Carefully pour the mixture into the pastry case. Return the pie to the oven for a further 30 minutes. Leave to cool before slicing and serving.
Looking for vegan roast recipes for your vegan Thanksgiving dinner?
You’re in for a treat with these 17 meat-free vegan roasts dinner recipes.