Vegan Chocolate Mini Rolls
These vegan chocolate mini rolls are a great show-stopper for a coffee morning or afternoon tea.
They have a thick cashew cream, rolled in a light chocolate sponge and covered in a crisp chocolate shell.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
What size baking pan do I need to use to make mini rolls?
Like a Swiss roll, Mini roll sponges need to be baked in a shallow rectangle cake tin to create the signature sponge.
You can find specific Swiss roll baking tins online or in baking stores. We recommend using a 30cm x 20cm shallow cake tin.
What is in the middle of a mini roll?
Typically, chocolate mini rolls are filled with buttercream or heavy whipped cream. This vegan mini roll recipe swaps the dairy for a delicious cashew cream that is equally creamy.
We’ve stuck to a simple cashew cream recipe, but you can get creative and add additional flavouring to your cream such as peppermint or strawberry. Be sure to add small amounts at a time and taste the cream to ensure it isn’t overpowered by the flavourings.
Does cashew cream taste like cream?
Cashew cream is a great alternative to dairy cream thanks to its creamy texture that is created by blending the cashews.
Without any additional flavours, cashew cream has a neutral, slightly nutty taste. Blended cashews can also be used to create vegan cheese sauces, yoghurt, and milk.
Top tip: Make sure to soak your cashews for at least 6 hours for maximum creaminess and a smooth texture.
Total Time: 2 hours and 35 minutes
Prep Time: 25 minutes + 2 hours chill time
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours and 35 minutes
- For the sponge
- 0.083333333333333 0.083333333333333 tsp cider vinegar
- 12.5 12.5 ml plant-based milk
- 9.1666666666667 9.1666666666667 g self-raising flour
- 8.3333333333333 8.3333333333333 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 4.1666666666667 4.1666666666667 g cocoa powder
- 10.416666666667 10.416666666667 g dairy-free butter
- For the cashew cream
- 12.5 12.5 g cashews, soaked overnight
- 0.083333333333333 0.083333333333333 tsp vanilla extract
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp agave syrup
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 tbsp water
- For the coating
- 16.666666666667 16.666666666667 g dark chocolate, melted
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/355°F/Gas 4. For the sponge, stir the cider vinegar into the plant-based milk and leave it to curdle slightly, creating buttermilk.
- In a bowl add the self-raising flour, caster sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder, butter and buttermilk, and beat with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a shallow, greased tray and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove the sponge from the oven and allow it to cool slightly; whilst the sponge is still warm, roll it up lengthways and then un-roll it, this should stop the sponge from cracking.
- For the cream, add the cashews, vanilla, agave syrup and water to a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Once the sponge is completely cool spread the cream evenly onto it.
- Cut the sponge lengthways into three equal pieces and then each length into four pieces and roll them up.
- Place in the fridge to cool for 1-2 hours, (or alternatively, place in the freezer for 30 minutes).
- Remove the rolls from the fridge and dip them into the melted chocolate.
- Once all the rolls are coated, transfer to the fridge again to set.
Each 80g mini roll provides:
21g Fat, 6.9g Saturates, 33g Carbohydrate, 17g Sugars, 4g Fibre, 5.6g Protein, 0.34g Salt.
Need some more sweet treats in your life? Discover these delicious vegan brownie recipes!