Chocolatey, coconutty, fudgey goodness in one delicious recipe! We cannot get enough of these heavenly vegan chocolate fudge donuts, especially as they’re made with a whole host of lovely, healthy ingredients.
Vegan chocolate fudge donuts
By Harriet Smith (www.harrietemily.com)
GF DF EF V MF
For the donuts:
- 1/3 cup (40g) cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (70g) coconut sugar
- 3 tbsp buckwheat flour
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour
- 2 tsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup (125ml) coconut water
- Pinch salt
- Vanilla, to taste
For the fudge glaze:
- 1/3 cup (80ml) coconut water
- 3 tbsp raw virgin coconut oil
- 4 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup (35g) coconut sugar
- Few drops liquid stevia, to taste
- Desiccated coconut, for decoration
PREHEAT YOUR OVEN TO 180 C / 356 F
- Firstly, make the donuts. Add the cocoa powder, coconut sugar, buckwheat flour, tapioca flour, coconut flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl. Then, stir everything together until evenly mixed. Next, add in the coconut water and vanilla and mix everything together until smooth, using a whisk.
- When the mixture is smooth, pour the donuts into 5 donut moulds, almost filling each of them. Then, transfer the donuts into the oven and bake them for about 20 minutes, until the tops are firm to touch. When the donuts have baked, remove them from the oven and set them aside to cool.
- While the donuts cool, make the fudgy glaze. Add the coconut water and coconut oil into a pan, and place onto a low-medium heat. Stir together, and allow the mixture to melt (it will look separated). Then, add in the cocoa powder and stir it into the mixture until smooth and fudgy. When this is done, remove the mixture from the heat, and add in the coconut sugar and stevia. Stir together until the sugar has dissolved into the mixture. Then, place it back on the heat, and stir together for about 1 minute to thicken slightly. Then, remove it from the heat and set it aside.
- Next, remove the donuts from their moulds. Then, one at a time, dip them into the fudgy glaze to cover the top half of the donuts. When this is done, spoon the remaining glaze on top of each donut to give a thick, generous, covering. Lastly, sprinkle with some desiccated coconut. Then, set the donuts aside somewhere cool for a couple of hours for the frosting to set – or enjoy warm.
This article contains affiliate links.
About the author
Harriet has always had a love of food, and has always enjoyed teaching herself new ways of cooking. She decided to focus on creating plant-based food, as it’s something she has always been fascinated by, and wanted to eat more of. Harriet love’s the creativity behind turning more natural, simpler ingredients into something that can taste complex and delicious. Check out Harriet’s blog here, for even more plant-based recipes, and find her on Facebook and Twitter.