Who says risotto is just for main courses? Why not give this supremely rich and silky vegan chocolate and coconut pudding risotto a try!
Vegan chocolate & coconut pudding risotto
By Alexander Willow-Harvey
- 1 tbsp vegan margarine/ coconut oil
- 1 cup risotto rice
- 2 cardamom pods
- up to 4 cups of vegan milk, I used coconut but almond would still be tasty
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup golden unrefined caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 150g chopped quality dark chocolate, chopped
- Chopped pistachios and desiccated coconut for topping
- Melt the margarine in a pan, add the rice, stir to coat in the margarine and toast gently for a minute. Split open the cardamom pods and grind the seeds in a pestle and mortar, add to the pan and stir.
- Whisk the cocoa powder and sugar into the vegan milk and add the milk to the rice a 1/4 cup at a time and stir continuously. Keep adding the milk mixture bit by bit whilst stirring and cooking until nearly all of the liquid has been absorbed, stir in the vanilla.
- Test the rice to make sure it’s cooked, if not continue to cook and add more milk, once the rice is cooked (should be about 30 minutes) stir through the chocolate to melt it and incorporate.
- Serve and top with coconut and pistachios.