Chickpea Tuna Melt
You might be used to enjoying chickpeas in curries and smashed up as hummus, but they’re also a great high-protein replacement for fish in recipes such as vegan chickpea tuna melts.
This tasty vegan chickpea tuna melt sandwich is even more delicious than the original with chives, mustard and celery giving the chickpea tuna and irresistible flavour. For an added health boost, top your chickpea tuna melt with sprouts.
- 0.25 0.25 can chickpeas
- 6.25 6.25 g celery, finely diced
- 1 1 Tbsp vegan mayo
- 0.375 0.375 Tbsp chives, finely chopped
- pinch of black pepper
- 0.25 0.25 tsp whole grain mustard
- 0.125 0.125 Tbsp lemon juice
- 0.0625 0.0625 tsp salt
- 1 1 slices bread of choice
- 21.25 21.25 g vegan cheddar cheese, shredded
- 18.75 18.75 g sprouts
- Drain and rinse chickpeas. Pat dry.
- Transfer chickpeas to a mixing bowl. With a fork, roughly mash chickpeas leaving some texture.
- Add celery, vegan mayo, chives, black pepper, whole grain mustard, lemon juice and salt. Stir well to combine and set aside.
- Toast 4 slices of bread. Lay slices of bread on a baking sheet. Divide the chickpea mixture evenly among the slices of bread.
- Sprinkle on ¼ cup of vegan cheddar cheese on top of each open-face sandwich. Broil on high for 2-3 minutes to melt cheese. (Keep a close eye on them!).
- Remove from oven and top with sprouts.
- Serve warm.
This vegan chickpea tuna melt recipe features in the Angela’s Plant Based Kitchen cookbook
Looking for more tasty vegan lunch recipes?