These beautifully crisp cauliflower, leek and kale fritters make a delicious light lunch or a filling snack. Serve with tahini sauce for a real treat!
Vegan cauliflower, leek & kale fritters
Recipe by Demuths Cookery School (www.demuths.co.uk)
Serves: 2/4 | Makes: 12 small or 8 medium
- ¼ a cauliflower (100g cauliflower florets)
- 1 large leaf of kale or cavolo nero
- ½ small leek
- 50g fine yellow cornmeal
- 50g gram flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100ml almond milk
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp salt
- Sunflower oil for frying
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets, slice the leek finely and strip the kale or cavolo nero leaf from the stem and chop.
- Mix together the cornmeal, gram flour and baking powder, stir in the almond milk. Season with paprika and smoked paprika and salt, stir until it resembles a thick paste. Stir in the vegetables.
- Heat a large frying pan and add 2 tablespoons of sunflower oil. Heat the oil until a drop of batter bubbles when you add it to the frying pan.
- Carefully drop 1 tablespoon of the fritter mix into the frying pan. Fry about 4 fritters at once, but don’t over-crowd the frying pan. Fry the fritters on both sides until they are golden and they feel firm. You don’t want any raw batter remaining within the fritter.
- Serve with salad and vegan mayo.
- Try with various spices such as Aleppo pepper and Sumac. Mint, basil and coriander can all be added for flavour.