Vegan Cauliflower and Chickpea Patties
Enjoy these vibrant cauliflower and chickpea patties as a snack, starter, or as part of a salad!
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Cauliflower, chickpeas, and spinach all come together to create a delicious patty that’s bursting with the flavours of garlic, turmeric, and garam masala.
The patties are perfect for serving warm or cold with a fresh salad, or they make a great snack on their own.
You can easily make a bright and flavourful dressing that goes great with these cauliflower and chickpea patties. Simply mix together two tablespoons of tahini, two tablespoons of water and half a teaspoon of turmeric.
What is turmeric good for?
Turmeric is great for adding a vibrant yellow colour to foods, but it’s much more than just a natural food colouring.
This beautiful root also has a long history of being used as a medicine. It’s valued as an anti-inflammatory, and has been used as a treatment for skin disorders and issues with the joints, upper respiratory tract, and digestive system.
Are chickpeas a high protein food?
Chickpeas are a great plant-based source of protein, and they also contain plenty of fibre, which is great for digestive health.
However, they also contain a surprising amount of carbohydrates. 100g of chickpeas contains around 45g of carbs (compared to 14.5g of protein and 12.5g of fibre). While this means they are a fairly well-balanced food in their own right, they’re not ideal for those following a low carb diet like, say, keto.
But this tasty little legume is packed with other nutritional benefits. As well as being a great vegan protein, it’s also a source of folate, iron, zinc, and potassium among others.
Total Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 0.2 0.2 tsp vegetable oil
- 0.05 0.05 onion, finely diced
- 0.1 0.1 cloves garlic, chopped
- 0.05 0.05 tsp turmeric powder
- 0.05 0.05 tsp garam masala
- 0.05 0.05 head cauliflower, chopped
- 20 20 g tin chickpeas, drained
- 0.1 0.1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 0.2 0.2 tbsp coconut flour
- 3 3 g plain flour
- 0.3 0.3 tbsp aquafaba
- Heat one teaspoon of the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and cook the onion, garlic, turmeric and garam masala for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the contents of the pan, cauliflower, chickpeas, flaxseed, coconut flour, plain flour and aquafaba to a food processor and pulse until fully combined but not smooth, season to taste.
- Split the mix into 20 and shape into small patties, add the remaining 3 teaspoons of oil to a frying pan over a medium heat, then pan-fry the patties for 3-4 minutes on each side, until crispy and cooked through.
Nutritional information per patty (65g): Calories 64, Fat 1.9g, Saturates 0.3g, Carbohydrate 9.5g, Sugars 1.8g, Fibre 3g, Protein 2.5g, Salt 0.15g
Fill your meals with more colour with these turmeric and beetroot sushi rolls.