Vegan Carrot & Almond Cake Recipe
If you ask us, carrot cakes are hands down one of the most delicious types of cake on the planet! They’re wonderfully dense and moist thanks to the addition of carrots, which also add a natural sweetness to the cake batter.
To make this vegan carrot cake extra special, ground almonds have been added to the mix to make a cake with a super tender crumb.
Spiced with ginger and cinnamon and topped with vegan cream cheese frosting, it’s a delightful Easter recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- For the carrot cake:
- 0.375 0.375 Tbsp flax seeds
- 17.5 17.5 g plain flour
- 0.125 0.125 tsp cinnamon
- 0.03125 0.03125 tsp ground ginger
- 0.25 0.25 tsp baking powder
- 25 25 g shredded carrots
- 12.5 12.5 g rapeseed oil
- 12.5 12.5 ml maple syrup
- A pinch of salt
- 0.03125 0.03125 tsp vanilla powder
- 12.5 12.5 g ground almonds
- 0.125 0.125 tsp Mr Organic apple cider vinegar
- 0.125 0.125 tsp baking soda
- For the cream cheese topping:
- 25 25 g vegan cream cheese
- 11.25 11.25 g icing sugar
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp lemon juice
- For the decoration:
- Fondant or marzipan carrots
- Slivered almonds
- Preheat your oven to 180°Cand line a 7-inch round cake tin.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax seeds with 6 tbsp of water and set aside for 10
- Sift the flour, cinnamon, ground ginger, and baking powder into a medium-sized bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the shredded carrots, rapeseed oil, maple syrup, salt and vanilla powder. Stir the flax eggs and ground almonds into the mixture.
- Sift the flour mix into these wet ingredients and stir with a spatula until well combined.
- Lastly, right before you add the mix into the cake tin, stir in the apple cider vinegar and baking soda.
- Transfer the carrot cake mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth out the top with a spatula. It might also help to gently tap the cake tin onto a work surface to even out.
- Transfer to the oven and bake at 180°C for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow for the cake to cool down completely before carefully removing it from the cake tin. To create the cream cheese topping, combine all ingredients for the frosting with an electric hand whisk until creamy. Use a spatula to spread the frosting onto the carrot cake.
- Lastly, decorate the cake with slivered almonds and fondant or marzipan carrots. Store the cake in the fridge until ready to serve.
Chef’s tip: To make this vegan carrot cake flavour extra special, add 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom and a pinch of ground cloves to the cake batter!
PS: The cake stays fresh and luscious for about 3 to 4 days!
In need of a chocolate fix?
Make these snack-able chocolate and tahini vegan Easter eggs!