Fudgy Vegan & Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake
You’ll wonder why anyone uses eggs or dairy to bake a cake once you’ve tried a slice of this delectably moist and chocolatey vegan and gluten-free chocolate cake!
- 0.125 0.125 ripe avocado
- 37.5 37.5 g muscovado sugar
- 31.25 31.25 g gluten-free plain flour
- 18.75 18.75 ml melted coconut oil
- 12.5 12.5 g almond flour
- 6.25 6.25 g good quality cocoa powder
- 0.125 0.125 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 0.25 0.25 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 50 50 ml plant-based milk of choice
- 0.25 0.25 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Icing for middle
- 12.5 12.5 g dates, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- 0.375 0.375 Tbsp cacao powder
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp coconut oil
- Ganache for covering the cake
- 0.125 0.125 tin full fat coconut cream
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp coconut oil melted
- 25 25 g vegan dark chocolate
- pinch of salt
To make the cake
- Put the avocado and sugar in a food processor and whizz until smooth. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add the oil slowly and vanilla extract and mix until a smooth batter forms.
- Divide between the tins and bake for 25 mins or until fully risen and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cakes comes out clean. Leave to cool.
To make the icing for the middle
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor or blender with 50ml of the reserved date-soaking liquid, and blitz for a few minutes until smooth and velvety. Add a little more water if needed.
- Using a spatula, spread the icing in the middle of the cake.
To make the ganache
- Break the chocolate into a medium-sized bowl and melt over a pan of boiling water.
- Scoop the thick white part from the can of coconut into a small saucepan. Heat on a low heat and whisk in the melted chocolate, salt and melted coconut oil well.
- Chill in the fridge until set and then spread over the whole cake using a spatula