Gluten-Free Almond and Amaretto Cake
A gluten-free, vegan cake that is moist and tasty, and it also makes a delicious gluten-free and vegan dessert, served with a scoop of vegan ice cream and a drizzle of maple syrup. Our almond and amaretto cake is decadent vegan and gluten-free baking at its best.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
This is one of the gluten-free, vegan cake recipes that feels more decadent because of the amaretto, and the flavour combination between almonds and amaretto works so well. You will be making the most of every crumb.
It’s also a simple recipe, which is why you will make it again and again.
Once the sultanas are soaked, the magic happens in one bowl and then it’s baked for 20-25 minutes.
The amaretto can be substituted with vegan rum for an equally delicious and moist rum and sultana cake. This will give a completely different flavour profile and make another gluten-free cake for you to enjoy with just one substitution.
This gluten-free cake can also be frozen so you won’t find any going to waste for two good reasons. One, because it’s one of the most delicious vegan cakes. Two, because if you are cooking for one or have a smaller household, you can pop it in the freezer to enjoy at another time.
Total Time: 45 mins
Prep Time: 15 mins, plus soaking
Cook Time: 20-25 mins
Cuisine: Vegan dessert
Total Time: 45 mins
- 3.3333333333333 3.3333333333333 grams sultanas
- 0.11111111111111 0.11111111111111 tbsp vegan amaretto
- vegan and gluten-free egg replacer, equivalent to 4 eggs
- 12.777777777778 12.777777777778 grams vegan and gluten-free margarine, plus extra for greasing
- 13.888888888889 13.888888888889 grams caster sugar
- 4.4444444444444 4.4444444444444 grams gluten-free self-raising flour
- 10 10 grams ground almonds
- 0.11111111111111 0.11111111111111 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 0.055555555555556 0.055555555555556 tsp xanthan gum
- 0.11111111111111 0.11111111111111 tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- vegan and gluten-free ice cream and maple syrup, to serve (optional)
1 Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Grease a 20-cm/8-inch square cake tin and line it with baking paper.
2 Put the sultanas into a small bowl with the amaretto and leave to soak for 30 minutes. Make up the egg replacer in a small bowl according to the packet instructions and beat it with a fork for a minute until bubbly.
3 Put the vegan margarine and sugar into a large mixing bowl and beat together with a wooden spoon until creamy. Mix in the egg replacer, then fold in the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and xanthan gum. Fold in the sultanas, along with any remaining liquid. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top with a spatula.
4 Bake in the preheated oven for 20–25 minutes, or until golden and springy to the touch. Sprinkle with the toasted flaked almonds and leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing and serving with ice cream and a drizzle of maple syrup, if desired.