Vegan Cajun Courgette Fritters
Crispy courgette fritters seasoned with fiery Cajun spices, what could be better for a veggie starter or side?
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
These Cajun Courgette Fritters make a great starter or side dish or they can be paired with a salad for a light lunch.
They’re perfect for dunking into a fresh, creamy sauce like a garlic dip or vegan raita.
What is Cajun spice?
Cajun spice is a bold mix of spices, which gets most of its heat from cayenne pepper and paprika. It has a slight earthy flavour coming from garlic, onion, and herbs.
It’s easy to find pre-made jars of Cajun seasoning in any supermarket, so you can easily pick up a ready-made mix to use in your courgette fritters.
However, if you want to make your own cajun spice, simply mix together:
- • 2 tsp paprika (or smoked paprika if you prefer)
- • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- • 1 tsp garlic powder
- • 1 tsp onion powder
- • 1 tsp dried oregano
- • 1 tsp dried thyme
- • 1 tsp black pepper
- • 1 tsp salt (optional, or salt to taste)
Are courgette fritters healthy?
Like any fried food, these fritters should be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Depending which oil you fry them in they can contain high levels of saturated fat.
These fritters are, however, a great way to sneak some veggies into your day – especially for fussy eaters!
Courgettes are filled with nutrients and are a great source of potassium, vitamin C, and folic acid. Half of a large courgette will provide you with one portion towards your 5-a-day, so four of these fritters will get you on your way.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 0.125 0.125 courgette, grated
- 0.25 0.25 potatoes, peeled and grated
- 0.125 0.125 tsp Cajun seasoning blend
- 0.125 0.125 tbsp plain flour
- oil, for frying
- Using a muslin cloth or clean tea towel, wrap the grated courgette and potato and squeeze out all the moisture, then transfer them to a bowl and discard the water.
- Add the Cajun spice and plain flour to the bowl and mix well until it forms a thick dough.
- Split the mix into eight equal pieces, roll these into balls and then flatten to create patties. Heat the oil over a medium-high heat and cook the patties for 4-5 minutes on each side until golden brown on the outside and cooked through.
Nutritional information per fritter (55g): Calories 52, Fat 1.5g, Saturates 0.2g, Carbohydrate 8.4g, Sugars 0.7g, Fibre 0.5g, Protein 1.2g, Salt 0.23g
Why not serve your courgette fritters with this Kale and Cannellini bean salad?