Vegan Buffalo Sprout Bites
Give the humble Brussels sprout a sparkling party makeover with this vegan buffalo bites recipe
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Brussels sprouts are a brilliant seasonal vegetable, but they don’t just belong on a vegan roast dinner.
Coat them in a spiced breadcrumb and serve with buffalo sauce for a fiery treat that wouldn’t be out of place on a New Year’s Eve buffet table.
Are Brussels sprouts healthy?
Brussels sprouts are cruciferous vegetables which are considered a superfood. They are a great source of vitamin C and B, manganese and calcium, and even provide you with protein.
They also contain vitamin K, which is essential for a healthy gut.
However, when breaded and deep fried as in this recipe, they become higher in saturated fat, and may not be the most healthy treat for all lifestyles.
Does this recipe have to be deep fried?
Not at all. If you would prefer to make this dish oil free, either air fry, or line a baking tray with parchment paper and bake in the oven for 25-30 mins or until golden and crispy.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 125 125 g Brussels sprouts, trimmed but left whole
- 31.25 31.25 g gram (chickpea) flour
- 59.25 59.25 ml water
- 0.5 0.5 tsp garlic powder
- 0.5 0.5 tsp onion powder
- 0.5 0.5 tsp paprika
- 0.25 0.25 tsp celery salt
- 0.25 0.25 tsp sea salt
- 0.25 0.25 tsp black pepper
- 56.75 56.75 g natural breadcrumbs
- 25 25 ml hot sauce
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp dairy-free butter
- vegetable oil, for frying
- In a small saucepan, melt together the hot sauce and the butter. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Fill a large, heavy-based pan no more than a 1 third full with vegetable oil and place over a medium-high heat. Do not leave this pan unattended at any time.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a bowl. In another bowl, mix together the gram flour, water and all the spices to make a smooth batter.
- One by one, dip the sprouts into the batter and then into the breadcrumbs, making sure they are evenly coated.
- When the oil is hot, fry the sprouts, in batches, until golden brown. Remove from the pan and drain on a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Sprinkle the cooked bites with sea salt and serve with the hot sauce for dipping.
Nutritional information per 100g: Calories 174, Fat 3.4g, Saturates 0.5g, Carbohydrates 26g, Sugars 3.7g, Protein 7.6g, Salt 0.75g
Want to add more buffalo flavour to your table? Try these buffalo cauliflower wings