Peaches & Cream Sourdough French Toast
This is vegan French toast like you’ve never seen it before! Sweetly spiced slices of sourdough toast are topped with caramelized peaches and cream because sometimes you just want dessert for breakfast!
“When I was doing university exchange in England, I lived with a French-speaking student from Belgium. We had turns making a dish from our country and she made French toast . . . and showed us the traditional way to make it! I put my own spin on French toast by using dense sourdough bread and serving it with caramelized peaches and a plant-based cream for extra decadence.” – Anthea Cheng
- 117.5 117.5 ml plant-based milk such as almond, soy, or coconut
- 1 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Pinch black salt (optional)
- 0.5 0.5 tsp cinnamon powder
- 0.5 0.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 2 slices sourdough bread
- 1.5 1.5 peaches (sliced)
- Olive oil or vegan butter for baking
- To serve
- Maple syrup
- Plant-based cream of choice
- Add the milk, chia seeds, cinnamon, vanilla, and black salt (if using a blender. Blend until smooth and pour the mixture into a shallow bowl.)
- Dip each slice of bread in the mixture, allowing each slice to soak up the batter. Make sure all areas of the bread are covered in the batter.
- Heat up a large saucepan over medium-high heat and drizzle with oil. Place the bread in the saucepan. Cook each side for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside the bread in a warm spot.
- Turn down the stove to medium heat. Drizzle oil in the saucepan and add the sliced peaches. When one side of the peaches begins to change colour, drizzle some maple syrup over the slices and allow it to caramelize. Flip the peaches and allow the other side to caramelize.
- Immediately serve the toast with caramelized peaches and plant-based cream. Drizzle with maple syrup as desired.
Looking for more breakfast recipes? These vegan breakfast ideas will keep you inspired…