Tofu ‘Egg’ Patty Breakfast Sandwich
Looking for a portable savoury sandwich that you can enjoy on the go? Look no further than this veggie-loaded tofu 'egg' vegan breakfast sandwich recipe!
To create your savoury, omelette-like vegan 'egg' patties, you'll need to sauté the veggies as you process the tofu and spices in a food processor. Once your veggies are ready and the tofu mixture is smooth and creamy, combine together before pouring the mixture into a muffin tin. As your tofu 'egg' bakes, you have time to prepare the rest of the ingredients to form your epic vegan breakfast sandiwhc.
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- For the Tofu Veggie "Egg" Patties:
- 0.22222222222222 0.22222222222222 Tbsp olive oil
- 2.7777777777778 2.7777777777778 g finely diced white or yellow onion
- 16.666666666667 16.666666666667 g finely diced red, yellow, or orange bell pepper
- 7.7777777777778 7.7777777777778 g chopped broccoli florets
- 3.3333333333333 3.3333333333333 g baby spinach, chopped
- 0.11111111111111 0.11111111111111 (400g) package Nasoya Extra Firm Tofu , drained
- 3.8888888888889 3.8888888888889 g chickpea flour
- 1.6666666666667 1.6666666666667 g nutritional yeast flakes
- 6.6666666666667 6.6666666666667 ml filtered water
- 0.11111111111111 0.11111111111111 Tbsp tahini
- 0.11111111111111 0.11111111111111 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 0.11111111111111 0.11111111111111 tsp garlic powder
- 0.083333333333333 0.083333333333333 tsp sea salt + 1/2 teaspoon black salt (kala namak)*
- 0.055555555555556 0.055555555555556 tsp ground turmeric
- Freshly ground black pepper
- For the Vegan Breakfast Sandwiches:
- 12.777777777778 12.777777777778 g vegan mayonnaise
- 0.11111111111111 0.11111111111111 Tbsp hot sauce of choice (classic "red hot" sauce and Sriracha both work great)
- 1 1 vegan English muffins or bagels, sliced and toasted (or as many as needed to serve on demand)
- Baby spinach
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced tomatoes
For the Tofu Veggie “Egg” Patties
Preheat the oven to 350F. Lightly grease 9 of the slots in two 6-slot muffin top tins or 9 of the slots in one 12-slot classic muffin tin. If you have muffin top tins, these work best as they yield an “egg” patty that’s perfectly sized for breakfast sandwiches. A regular muffin tin will work in a pinch but you’ll need to smush the egg patties down in your breakfast sandwich.
Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat.
Add the onion, bell pepper, broccoli, and spinach. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Sauté for 3 minutes, or until the veggies just barely begin to soften and the spinach wilts (they’ll continue to cook in the oven, so no need to get them too tender at this point). Remove from the heat and set aside.
Crumble the tofu into a food processor. Add the garbanzo flour, nutritional yeast, water, tahini, vinegar, garlic powder, sea salt + black salt, turmeric, and a few grinds of black pepper. Process for 2 minutes, or until completely smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides of the processor as needed.
Spoon the tofu mixture into the pan with the sautéed veggies and stir to combine.
Evenly distribute the mixture between the 9 greased muffin tin slots.
Bake the “egg” patties for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown and have pulled away from the pan, and the middles are completely set.
Transfer the tin(s) to an oven-safe cooling rack and allow the patties to cool for at least 10 minutes. If needed, run a butter knife around the edge of each patty to release from the pan.
To Assemble the Breakfast Sandwiches
In a small jar or bowl, whisk together the mayo and the hot sauce to create a speedy spicy mayo sauce.
Slather one side of each toasted English muffins/bagels with the sauce. Top each with an egg patty, a few pieces of baby spinach, a few slices of avocado, and a couple slices of tomato. Serve immediately.
Leftover egg patties will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week and can be frozen for up to one month.
Recipe created in collaboration with Nasoya
If you’re a fan of this savoury vegan breakfast sandwich recipe, you’ll love this recipe for fried ‘egg’, crispy ‘bacon’ and spinach vegan pancakes!