Vegan Brain Cupcakes
These vegan brain cupcakes are great for Halloween parties for all ages. The frosting on the top is simple to pipe but looks perfectly ghoulish.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
No one will ever know these spooky cupcakes are free from eggs and dairy. The ‘buttermilk’ topping is creamy and sweet whilst the cupcakes are light and fluffy. They’re the perfect addition to your Halloween party spread!
If you don’t have any grenadine to hand for the topping, you can use another natural colouring such as cranberry juice or beetroot powder. You can also buy red food colouring from supermarkets, but this can often contain carmine which is derived from insects.
Do vegans eat carmine?
Carmine is a red dye made from ground-up cochineal beetles, meaning it is not suitable for vegans. It is sometimes used in food products as well as cosmetics. Carmine may also be listed as E120 in the ingredients list, so be sure to check when you’re out shopping!
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- For the sponge
- 24 24 ml soya milk
- 0.2 0.2 tsp cider vinegar
- 25 25 g self-raising flour
- 15 15 g caster sugar
- 11 11 g dairy-free butter
- 0.1 0.1 tsp baking powder
- a drop of vanilla extract
- For the frosting
- 5 5 g dairy-free butter
- 40 40 g icing sugar
- 0.2 0.2 tbsp soya milk
- 0.1 0.1 tbsp grenadine
- a few drops of red food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Mix together the soya milk and cider vinegar and leave to curdle, forming buttermilk.
- Beat together the buttermilk, flour, caster sugar, butter, baking powder and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Split the mixture between 10 cupcake tins and bake for 25 minutes until cooked through, then allow to cool.
- For the frosting, add the butter, icing sugar, soya milk and food colouring to a bowl and mix until smooth. Transfer to a piping bag.
- To pipe the brain, pipe two lines down the centre of the cupcake, then pipe a zigzag on each side of the lines. Drizzle with a little grenadine syrup to finish.
Each 127g serving provides:
12g Fat, 2.3g Saturates, 76g Carbohydrate, 56g Sugars, 1g Fibre, 2.9g Protein, 0.52g Salt.
Need another ghoulish treat for your guests this Halloween? Try making these spooky vegan ghost cupcakes!