Vegan Beetroot Jerky
This beetroot jerky makes a great low-calorie healthy snack, with a savoury flavour and a nice chew similar to traditional jerky.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
This vegan beetroot jerky recipe is a tasty and healthy alternative to traditional meat-based jerky.
Made with thinly sliced beets that have been marinated in a flavourful mixture of soy sauce, yeast extract, maple syrup, garlic, and paprika, it’s packed with umami flavour and a satisfying chewy texture.
Beetroot jerky is easy to prepare, and once it’s marinated you simply leave it in a low oven to bake while you watch a movie or read a book! Alternatively, you can make this in a dehydrator or airfryer with dehydrating function.
Is beetroot jerky healthy?
Unlike traditional jerky, which is often high in saturated fat and cholesterol, this beetroot jerky is low in fat and completely cholesterol-free, making it a healthier snack option.
Compared to jerky made with beef, it’s also higher in fibre and packed with vitamins and minerals.
Additionally, it is a cruelty-free and sustainable option for those who want to reduce their environmental impact and support ethical food practices.
How can I use this beetroot jerky?
To store the beetroot jerky, keep it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
It makes a great snack for any time of the day. Whether you’re on the go or in need of a quick and easy snack at home, this recipe has got you covered. It’s also a great addition to your lunchbox or as a topping for your salad or bowl.
It’s perfect for meal prep or for gifting to your friends and family. To make it look even more attractive, you can tie the jerky pieces with a string and wrap them in a brown paper bag or use a mason jar for gifting.
Cook Time: 3 hours
- 0.66666666666667 0.66666666666667 tbsp soy sauce
- 0.33333333333333 0.33333333333333 tbsp yeast extract (e.g. Marmite)
- 0.33333333333333 0.33333333333333 tsp maple syrup
- 0.16666666666667 0.16666666666667 tsp garlic granules
- 0.33333333333333 0.33333333333333 tsp smoked paprika
- 0.66666666666667 0.66666666666667 beetroot, sliced 3-4mm thick
- Preheat the oven to 100°C/210°F/Gas ¼. Add the soy sauce, yeast extract, maple syrup, garlic granules and smoked paprika to a bowl and whisk together. Add the beetroot slices to the liquid and mix well, leave to marinate for 2-3 hours in the fridge.
- Place the beetroot slices onto a lined baking tray and place into the oven. Cook for 2-3 hours until the beetroot has dried, leaving a chewy texture.
Hungry for more healthy snacks? Try these raw vegan breadsticks!