Vegan BBQ Broccoli Wings
These vegan BBQ broccoli wings are cauliflower wings’ tasty green cousin, and we think you’ll love them!
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
You’ve heard of cauliflower wings, now try broccoli wings!
These tasty vegan ‘wings’ are coated in a finger-licking BBQ sauce that’s packed with flavour. And the best part? They’re naturally boneless so you can eat the whole thing!
These broccoli ‘wings’ make a great side dish or sports game snack, or you can double up your portions to serve this as a main meal.
Why are they called ‘wings’?
Cauliflower wings have come into vogue in recent years and while they’re commonplace on many bar and gastropub menus, many people still question how they can be called wings when they don’t emulate meat.
Well, while cauliflower wings aren’t made of processed ‘fake meat’, when cooked properly they do go tender and succulent inside, much like their meaty counterpart.
Broccoli wings are much the same, and while the flavour is a little more earthy they are just as juicy-on-the-inside and crisp-on-the-outside as cauliflower wings.
You could argue that they’re more like boneless wings than actual chicken wings, but when it’s just as enjoyable to get messy and eat these sticky wings with your hands, how could they be called anything else?
Is BBQ sauce vegan?
Plenty of BBQ sauces are vegan, so you should have no problem finding one you like to use in this broccoli wings recipe.
Take care if you prefer a sweet BBQ sauce, as some are sweetened using honey or honey derivatives.
You’ll also need to look out for sauces that use Worcestershire sauce or anchovies, meat stock, or even dairy products in their recipe. However, these are very uncommon and unlikely to be found in widely available sauces.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 0.25 0.25 head of broccoli
- For the batter
- 25 25 g rice flour
- 56.25 56.25 ml water
- 0.5 0.5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 0.25 0.25 tsp garlic powder
- 0.25 0.25 tsp onion powder
- 0.25 0.25 tsp paprika
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- For the BBQ wing sauce
- 0.75 0.75 tbsp non-dairy butter
- 46.25 46.25 ml BBQ sauce
- 0.75 0.75 tbsp hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 230 ℃ (Gas Mark 8, 450℉).
- Wash broccoli and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Whisk together all the batter ingredients, it should be the same consistency as a thick pancake batter (add more or less flour or water if you need to).
- Dip each broccoli bite in the batter, coating evenly, then place each broccoli bite on a parchment lined baking tray. Drizzle broccoli with oil and bake for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the broccoli is baking, in a small pan melt the non-dairy butter, hot sauce, and BBQ sauce, stirring to combine. This will take a few minutes.
- Remove broccoli from oven and cover with half of the BBQ wing sauce, tossing to evenly coat. Continue cooking for a further 5-10 minutes
- Serve with additional sauce if desired.
Nutritional information per 100g: Calories 121 Fat 4.2g Saturates 1.0g Carbohydrates16g Sugars 3.2g Protein 4.2g Salt 0.43g
Serve your broccoli wings with these vegan chilli-topped nachos for real game day feast!