Vegan Banana and Peanut Butter Pancakes
These vegan banana pancakes are packed with flavour and goodness. The thick and glossy peanut butter syrup is the perfect topping for this breakfast treat!
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Bananas are a perfect pre- or post-workout food as their high levels of simple carbohydrates release quick energy boosts, and their potassium content aids muscle recovery.
They’re also absolutely delicious in baked goods, and add perfect levels of moisture and sweetness to these fluffy pancakes.
How to make pancakes vegan
Traditionally, pancakes are made from a batter of eggs, milk, and flour. Flour is already vegan so doesn’t need to be substituted (although we’ve used buckwheat flour for extra nutrients.)
Eggs and milk, however, are animal products so must be swapped out for plant-based ingredients to make vegan pancakes.
Vegan egg replacements
In this recipe, the banana isn’t just for flavour – it’s acting as an egg replacement too! There are lots of options for vegan egg replacements and different ones work better with different recipes.
We think banana works best for this recipe because its flavour really complements the pancakes and topping, and the texture of the banana is perfect for adding the soft, moist texture normally given by eggs. A teaspoon of baking powder gives these vegan banana pancakes the rise they would normally get from eggs.
Vegan milk replacements
The liquid element in this recipe for vegan banana pancakes is important to ensure the pancakes aren’t too dense, and that they spread well in the pan when cooked.
Almost all plant-based milk varieties will work well in this recipe, so you can use whichever you have on hand. However, be aware that some strong-flavoured plant milks can affect the overall taste of your pancakes, so be sure to pick one you enjoy!
Total Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- For the peanut butter syrup
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp peanut butter
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp water
- 0.125 0.125 tbsp maple syrup
- For the pancakes
- 0.0625 0.0625 tbsp agave syrup
- 15 15 ml plant-based milk
- 0.0625 0.0625 banana
- 7.5 7.5 g buckwheat flour
- 0.0625 0.0625 tsp baking powder
- To serve
- 0.125 0.125 tbsp flaked almonds
- 0.0625 0.0625 ripe banana, peeled and sliced
- raspberries (optional)
- To make the peanut butter syrup, whisk the peanut butter, water and maple syrup together in a mixing bowl.
- For the pancakes, add the agave syrup, milk, banana, buckwheat flour and baking powder to a blender and mix until a smooth batter is formed.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat then add 2 tablespoons of the batter into the frying pan, cooking each pancake for 2-3 minutes on each side until cooked through. Repeat until all the batter is used.
- To serve, layer pancakes between slices of banana, then top with the flaked almonds, raspberries and the peanut butter syrup.
Nutritional Information per pancake (50g): Calories 126, Fat 7.6g Saturates 1.5g, Carbohydrate 12g, Sugars 5g, Fibre 2g, Protein 4.3g, Salt 0.08g
Top your vegan banana pancakes with this nutritious cacao and hazelnut spread!