Vegan Baked Coconut Rice Pudding with Blueberry Compote
This coconut rice pudding is perfect for serving up at the end of a romantic meal for two. It can be prepped quickly, then popped in the oven to bake through dinner
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Coconut rice pudding is a delicious dessert that’s just perfect for rounding off a three course meal at a dinner party or date night. It’s light and creamy, and gets a satisfying sweetness from the coconut milk.
In this recipe, the coconut rice pudding is baked which gives it a beautiful golden top. Baking this dessert also means you can prep it quickly before your dinner guests arrive, and leave it in the oven until you’re ready to eat!
What kind of coconut milk should I use?
There are lots of different types of coconut milk or ‘drink’ available in supermarkets today, and most of them will work well in this recipe. Canned coconut milk is ideal, as it’s likely to contain a higher percentage of actual coconut. However, due to the amount of liquid used in this recipe you may find it more convenient to buy a 1 litre carton of coconut drink – which will work just fine!
Coconut is naturally sweet, and this recipe adds sugar and blueberry compote for extra sweetness, so we recommend using an unsweetened coconut milk to keep the rice pudding from becoming too sickly.
Don’t forget to include the coconut cream! This is different to coconut milk and adds an extra creaminess to this coconut rice pudding. You’ll probably find it in a small tin or cardboard carton in your supermarket’s World Food aisle.
What are the benefits of adding blueberries to this dish?
Besides flavour, blueberries bring a lot to the table in this tasty dessert!
Blueberries are considered a superfood, and are packed with antioxidants. They can help to maintain healthy bones, reduce blood pressure, and prevent heart disease.
While blueberries are a sweet addition to this dish, they are relatively low in sugar. They’re also slightly tart which adds extra depth of flavour to the coconut rice pudding, preventing it from being overly sweet.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- For the rice pudding
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp dairy-free butter
- 30 30 g pudding rice
- 225 225 ml coconut milk
- 75 75 ml coconut cream
- 25 25 g caster sugar
- For the blueberry compote
- 25 25 g blueberries
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp caster sugar
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp water
- 0.25 0.25 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F/ Gas 2. For the rice pudding, grease a 1-litre baking dish with the dairy-free butter. In a mixing bowl combine the rice, coconut milk, coconut cream and caster sugar. Once mixed transfer to the baking dish and bake for 2 hours and 30 minutes, stirring after 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make the compote, add the blueberries, caster sugar, water and lemon juice to a small pan and cook on a low heat for 10 minutes. Then leave to cool.
- Remove the rice pudding from the oven and serve hot, with a generous dollop of blueberry compote.
Nutritional information per serving (415g): Calories 661, Fat 15.5g, Saturates 12.5g, Carbohydrate 131.8g, Sugars 101.7g, Fibre 1g, Protein 2.6g, Salt 1g
Impress your date with ease by serving up your coconut rice pudding after one of these delicious vegan pasta dinners!