Apricot & Almond Frangipane Tart
Tangy apricots and sweet almonds make the perfect pairing in this classic almond and apricot frangipane tart made entirely from vegan ingredients.
The Great British Bake Off is back and in week five the bakers were tasked with creating perfect pastries for Pastry Week. Although the Bake Off rarely focuses on vegan bakes, many of us enjoy watching the show to find inspiration for our own vegan bakes as we attempt to try to recreate them using a vegan recipe.
This year, OGGS will be recreating one of the bakes from each episode so you can have a go at creating your own vegan-friendly version at home like this stunning apricot and almond frangipane tart.
Total Time: 2 hours
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 15.5 15.5 g margarine
- 24 24 g plain flour + a little more for rolling
- 8 8 g granulated sugar
- 0.025 0.025 tsp salt
- 2 2 g flaxseed flour
- 2.5 2.5 g OGGS® Aquafaba
- 0.05 0.05 tsp lemon zest
- 0.1 0.1 tsp vanilla essence
- For the frangipane:
- 11.5 11.5 g margarine
- 11.5 11.5 g caster sugar
- 10 10 g almond flour
- 10 10 g plain flour
- 4 4 g flaxseed flour
- 0.1 0.1 tsp lemon zest
- 0.1 0.1 tsp almond extract
- 5 5 g OGGS® Aquafaba
- 5 5 g caster sugar
- To decorate:
- 0.2 0.2 400g tinned apricot halves
- 4 4 g apricot jam glaze
- 3 3 g flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/160°C fan/Gas 4. Grease a 20cm tart tin with a loose base.
- Chop the margarine into small chunks and rub with the flour, sugar and salt to form flakes.
- Mix the flaxseed flour with the OGGS® Aquafaba, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Mix all together (by hand or in a food processor) and knead well. You should have a well-formed ball of dough. Wrap in cling film and pop in the fridge for 1/2 – 1 hour.
- Roll out your pastry dough between two sheets of baking paper with a dusting of flour until just under ½ cm thick. Using the rolling pin, pick up the dough and place into the tart tin. Prick the pastry with a fork.
- Blind bake with beans and baking paper for 30 minutes, removing the beans and paper after 20 minutes.
- Beat the margarine and caster sugar until fluffy, then slowly add the three flours, lemon zest and almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk your OGGS® Aquafaba with the 50g of caster sugar until your mixture is glossy and stiff.
- Fold the almond mixture into the Aquafaba mixture, then pour into the pastry tart shell. Don’t fill it too high – allow a ½ cm space at the top.
- Strain the apricots from their liquid, pat dry with kitchen paper and arrange on the mixture in a circular pattern, then bake in the oven at 180°C for 45 minutes until the surface is nicely golden.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Heat the apricot jam with a splash of water and brush over the tart, and sprinkle your pistachios on top.
This is extra yummy served with coconut yogurt.