Apricot & Almond Frangipane Tart
Tangy apricots and sweet almonds make the perfect pairing in this classic almond and apricot frangipane tart made entirely from vegan ingredients.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Total Time: 2 hours
Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 15.5 15.5 g margarine
- 24 24 g plain flour + a little more for rolling
- 8 8 g granulated sugar
- 0.025 0.025 tsp salt
- 2 2 g flaxseed flour
- 2.5 2.5 g OGGS® Aquafaba
- 0.05 0.05 tsp lemon zest
- 0.1 0.1 tsp vanilla essence
- For the frangipane:
- 11.5 11.5 g margarine
- 11.5 11.5 g caster sugar
- 10 10 g almond flour
- 10 10 g plain flour
- 4 4 g flaxseed flour
- 0.1 0.1 tsp lemon zest
- 0.1 0.1 tsp almond extract
- 5 5 g OGGS® Aquafaba
- 5 5 g caster sugar
- To decorate:
- 0.2 0.2 400g tinned apricot halves
- 4 4 g apricot jam glaze
- 3 3 g flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/160°C fan/Gas 4. Grease a 20cm tart tin with a loose base.
- Chop the margarine into small chunks and rub with the flour, sugar and salt to form flakes.
- Mix the flaxseed flour with the OGGS® Aquafaba, lemon zest and vanilla.
- Mix all together (by hand or in a food processor) and knead well. You should have a well-formed ball of dough. Wrap in cling film and pop in the fridge for 1/2 – 1 hour.
- Roll out your pastry dough between two sheets of baking paper with a dusting of flour until just under ½ cm thick. Using the rolling pin, pick up the dough and place into the tart tin. Prick the pastry with a fork.
- Blind bake with beans and baking paper for 30 minutes, removing the beans and paper after 20 minutes.
- Beat the margarine and caster sugar until fluffy, then slowly add the three flours, lemon zest and almond extract.
- In a separate bowl, whisk your OGGS® Aquafaba with the 50g of caster sugar until your mixture is glossy and stiff.
- Fold the almond mixture into the Aquafaba mixture, then pour into the pastry tart shell. Don’t fill it too high – allow a ½ cm space at the top.
- Strain the apricots from their liquid, pat dry with kitchen paper and arrange on the mixture in a circular pattern, then bake in the oven at 180°C for 45 minutes until the surface is nicely golden.
- Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Heat the apricot jam with a splash of water and brush over the tart, and sprinkle your pistachios on top.
This is extra yummy served with coconut yogurt.