Fluffy American-Style Pancakes with Berry, Mint and Lime Compote
With a zesty berry compote and a smooth vegan yoghurt atop a mountain of fluffy vegan American-style pancakes, this recipe is a refreshing break from the norm this pancake day
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
These vegan American-style pancakes are fluffy and light. They’re just perfect to stack up for a towering breakfast.
Served with a zesty berry, mint, and lime compote and creamy vegan yoghurt, they’re sweet, filling and delicious.
A tower of fluffy pancakes like this makes for a decadent breakfast treat any time of year, and they’re a delectable break from the norm for pancake day too!
What’s the difference between traditional pancakes and American pancakes?
The pancakes we Brits traditionally eat on pancake day are flatter than American-style pancakes. They can be served in lots of ways, like rolled, folded, or flat, and are usually topped with sweet ingredients like sugar and lemon, maple syrup, or chocolate spread.
American-style pancakes get their fluffiness from extra raising agent, like baking powder, added to the batter. These thick, fluffy pancakes are often served stacked up and topped with a variety of ingredients.
Syrup and butter are traditional American pancake toppings, and they often accompany savoury breakfast items, so you could even add something like these salty vegan bacon strips to your breakfast plate.
Which vegan yoghurt is best?
Most vegan yoghurts will work well with this recipe as long as they aren’t too strongly flavoured. A plain yoghurt will be best to avoid clashing with the strong flavours of the berry compote. You could even make your own vegan yoghurt.
Most supermarkets offer multiple varieties of vegan yoghurt made from all sorts of plant-based ingredients. You could try soya, oat, coconut, or even pea-based yoghurt!
Total Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- For the batter
- 55 55 g all purpose flour
- 0.5 0.5 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 1 tsp baking powder
- 120 120 ml unsweetened soya milk
- 1 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 0.5 0.5 pinch sea salt
- dairy-free butter, for frying
- For the berry, mint & lime compote
- 125 125 g mixed fresh berries, washed
- 1.5 1.5 sprigs of fresh mint, leaves only
- 1 1 tsp icing sugar
- 0.5 0.5 tbsp water
- 0.25 0.25 lime, juice and zest
- To serve
- fresh mint leaves
- plain non-dairy yoghurt
- In a large bowl, mix together all the ingredients for the batter until no lumps or pockets of flour remain.
- Preheat a large, non-stick frying pan on a medium heat and add a knob of dairy-free butter.
- Add all the compote ingredients to a small saucepan and allow to gently bubble until the fruit begins to soften.
- Using 60ml (4 tbsp) of batter per pancake, fry in the pan until golden on both sides, in batches, until all the mixture is used. Keep warm on a paper-lined plate until ready to serve.
- Pile the pancakes onto plates, and top with yoghurt, berry compote, fresh mint and a little lime zest.
Want more pancake day inspiration? Here are our favourite vegan pancake recipes!