Triple-Layer Coconut Brownies
These delicious triple-layer coconut brownies are vegan and gluten-free and made with natural plant-based ingredients. The added flavour and texture of the coconut along with this richness of the chocolate in these vegan brownies makes it a truly tropical indulgent treat.
These brownies need to be kept in either the freezer or fridge to prevent the topping from melting, however remove 30 minutes before serving to enjoy them at their best.
- For the base:
- 500 500 g pitted Medjool soft dates, pitted
- 50 50 g coconut flour
- 30 30 g raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 0.5 0.5 tsp pure vanilla bean paste or ½ vanilla pod, deseeded
- 0.25 0.25 tsp sea salt, crushed
- For the filling
- 200 200 g desiccated coconut
- 120 120 ml coconut oil, melted
- 90 90 ml The Groovy Food Company Organic Agave Nectar Light Amber & Mild
- For the topping:
- 160 160 g coconut oil
- 120 120 g The Groovy Food Company Organic Agave Nectar Light Amber & Mild
- 80 80 g raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1 1 tsp pure vanilla bean paste or vanilla pod whole, deseeded
- sea salt
- Line the base and the sides of a loose bottom 8inch/20cm square tin with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, process the dates until soft (if the dates are too hard add 1 tbsp. of hot water to soften them), then add the coconut flour, cacao powder, vanilla bean paste or deseeded vanilla pod, sea salt and process until thoroughly combined, keep scraping down the sides and breaking up the mixture until a ball is formed.
- When the mixture has formed into a log or ball shape remove from the food processor and place in your pre-lined tin. Evenly press down the mixture into the prepared square tin until smooth, or you can use the back of a large spoon to press down the mixture.
- Place in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- To make the coconut filling:
- Gently melt the coconut oil in a saucepan, remove from heat, add desiccated coconut and agave nectar and place on top of the base, pressing down firmly with the back of a spoon.
- Place in the freezer for about 10 minutes to allow it to harden.
- To make the chocolate topping:
- Melt the coconut oil over a gentle heat, then leave to cool.
- Add the agave nectar. With a small hand whisk, slowly whisk in the cacao powder, sea salt and vanilla bean paste until you have a smooth glossy mixture.
- Remove the tin from the freezer and pour the chocolate topping over the coconut filling, making sure you spread it evenly.
- Leave it to set for approx 10 minutes out of the freezer and then carefully transfer the tin to the freezer on a flat, even surface. Chill for 30 minutes or until the topping is firm enough to slice.
- Before dividing the brownies, carefully square off the edges for a neater look, then divide by 4 slices down and 5 slices across to make 20 squares. Wipe off the knife after each time you slice into the brownies for a cleaner cut. Store leftovers in the fridge for a chocolate treat anytime! Invite friends round to share!