Smoked Tofu & Vegetable Baguette
A tofu lunch recipe that completely satisfies your lunchtime hunger and makes a great vegan packed lunch. When you’re looking for vegan sandwich ideas, our smoked tofu and vegetable vegan baguette lunch recipe has a savoury olive tapenade that brings all the ingredients together and makes a moreish baguette.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
This tofu lunch recipe includes roasted vegetables, which adds moisture to the baguette. It also has smoked tofu, which provides a more interesting flavour. If you can’t find smoked tofu, you can use plain tofu instead.
Our tofu baguette lunch recipe is an excellent source of protein, as tofu is a complete protein, meaning it contains all 9 of the essential amino acids and is one of the best vegan protein sources.
Once you’ve made the baguette, wrap it in clingfilm and let it chill in the fridge before cutting it. You can even make it the night before for your vegan packed lunch.
- 1 1 small courgette, sliced
- 1 1 red or yellow pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 1 red onion, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 2 tbsp olive oil
- 35 35 cm vegan baguette
- 1 1 handful of fresh basil, chopped
- 1 1 handful of fresh rocket, chopped
- 70 70 grams smoked tofu, sliced
- 70 70 grams tomatoes, sliced
- 1 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 12 12 black olives, stoned and roughly chopped
- 1 1 garlic clove
- 1 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5. Place the courgette, pepper and red onion on a baking sheet, drizzle over the olive oil and toss together so that the vegetables are coated with the oil. Roast in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until softened and beginning to brown.
- To make the tapenade, place the olives, garlic and oil in a food processor and process to a rough paste. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut the baguette in half lengthways and spread the cut side of the top half with the tapenade.
- On the cut side of the bottom half, layer the roast vegetables, including their oil, the basil and rocket, then the tofu and tomatoes and finally drizzle over the balsamic vinegar – the fillings will be piled high. Place the tapenade half on top and press down firmly to compress the filling.
- Wrap the baguette very tightly in clingfilm or kitchen foil and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving. Slice carefully with a serrated knife into portions
Looking for more vegan lunch inspiration?
Find new vegan sandwich fillings with our pick of the best vegan sandwich recipes!