Tofu & Mushroom Pie
As we head into autumn, we’re on the lookout for comforting dishes to keep us warm, and this vegan tofu mushroom pie is just the thing!
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
To make this tasty pie all you need is a pie tin, a pan, and a pastry brush!
Total Time: 55 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 1 pack shortcrust pastry (*Enough shortcrust pastry to fit into a 9" pie dish plus lid)
- 1 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 8 8 oz chopped mushrooms
- 1 1 block tofu - long pressed, cubed and soaked in soya or almond milk for 30 mins
- 2 2 Tbsp plain flour
- 1 1 Tbsp ground arrowroot powder
- 1 1 cup unsweetened soya milk
- 1 1 Tbsp tamari
- 1 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 mushroom stock cube mixed with 1/4 cup of boiling water
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Roll out the pastry to fill the pie case, prick and blind bake for 10 mins at 180 deg C to cook the pastry. Set aside.
- Fry the onion for 5-8 mins until translucent and then add the pressed and cubed tofu. Allow to fry for a few minutes to seal and then add the garlic and mushrooms. Continue to fry on a medium heat until the mushroom’s juices are released.
- Add the flour and arrowroot powder and mix carefully until everything is coated and there are no lumps of flour.
- Add the soya milk gradually, stir continually until all the milk is absorbed each time. The sauce will thicken up as you stir. Try not to break up the tofu cubes. When you have a thick sauce, add the dissolved stock, thyme and tamari and continue to cook until the sauce is bubbling.
- Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and remove from the heat.
- Fill the prepared pastry case with the mushroom mixture and cover with the pie lid. Seal with soya milk and pinch the pastry together. Brush the top with some more soya milk and make a hole in the center for the steam to escape.
- Bake at 180 deg C for 30-35 mins or until the pie case has browned on top.
- Enjoy with mashed or roasted potatoes for that extra bit of comfort and steamed dark green veg; broccoli, peas, spinach or kale, all the greats.
Do you need more delicious pie in your life? Try making this amazing Vegan Minted No-Lamb Hotpot!