Tangy Vegan Pad Thai Recipe
These punchy plant-based noodles will have you dreaming of Thailand. Get this street food classic on the table by sizzling courgette, red pepper, chilli and rice noodles in a zingy vegan Pad Thai sauce.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
This vibrant vegan Pad Thai recipe is sweet and salty with a beautiful fiery heat that will make your mouth water.
To make it, simply roast your squash while you fry the peppers before you stir-fry all the ingredients together with the sauce in one delicious mix. Quick to prepare, it’s ready to eat in just 35 minutes.
Total Time: 35 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp mirin
- 0.5 0.5 red pepper
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp tamarind paste
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp Sriracha hot chilli sauce
- 1 1 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2.5 2.5 g coriander (cilantro)
- 12.5 12.5 g roasted peanuts
- 80 80 g butternut squash cubes
- 0.5 0.5 courgette (zucchini)
- 0.5 0.5 lime
- 0.5 0.5 red chilli
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6. Boil a full kettle. Add the squash cubes to a tray with a pinch of salt and pepper and a drizzle of vegetable oil, and give everything a good mix. Put the tray into the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked with a slight bite.
- Meanwhile, deseed the red pepper and cut into thin strips. Heat a large, widebased pan (preferably non-stick) with a generous drizzle of vegetable oil over a medium heat. Once hot, add the pepper strips with a pinch of salt and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until softened.
- Meanwhile, add the Thai rice noodles to a pot and cover with boiled water. Boil over high heat for 4-5 minutes or until softened with a slight bite. Once softened, drain the noodles, run them under cold water, then return to the pot with a drizzle of vegetable oil and set aside. The oil prevents the noodles from sticking together.
- Meanwhile, peel lengths off the courgette until you end up with a pile of courgette ribbons. Peel and finely slice the garlic. For the sauce, add the tamarind paste to a bowl with the soy sauce, mirin, sriracha, juice of half the lime and 1 tsp sugar and give it all a good mix together.
- Once the pepper has softened, add the courgette ribbons and sliced garlic to the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, then remove from the heat.
- Crush the peanuts. Finely slice the red chilli. (Can’t handle the heat? Take out the seeds.) Roughly chop the basil and coriander (including stems). Slice the remaining lime into two wedges.
- Return the pan to a medium-high heat and add the drained noodles along with the roasted butternut squash and pad Thai sauce and cook for 1 minute, or until everything is coated in the sauce. Stir through half of the chopped herbs. To serve, sprinkle the remaining chopped herbs and crushed peanuts all over the tangy vegetable pad Thai. Garnish with a sliced chilli, if you like, and a lime wedge.
If you love Thai food, you need to try our vegan Thai green curry recipe.