Add a little spice into your life with this hearty and wholesome spicy chana masala with chickpeas.
Spicy chana masala with chickpeas
Serves 4 | Prep 25 mins | Cook 50 mins | Calories 474 (per serving)
- 2½ tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger (minced)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- a pinch of granulated sweetener
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, cubed
- 600g (1lb 4oz) tinned chickpeas, drained
- 500ml (18fl oz) vegetable stock
- coriander sprigs
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan or casserole dish set over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, chilli, ginger and a pinch of salt, sweating for 6-7 minutes until softened.
- Add the spices and sweetener, stir well, and cook for about 2-3 minutes, until the oil starts to bubble up from beneath
- Stir in the potatoes, chickpeas and stock and bring to a rapid simmer. Reduce the heat to low and partially cover with a lid.
- Cook steadily for about 30-40 minutes until the potato is soft and most of the stock has been absorbed. Add more stock if it runs dry. Season to taste. Serve with a garnish of coriander on top.