Vegan Spiced Cottage Pie with Sweet Potato Harissa Mash Recipe
This vegan cottage pie with sweet potato mash might just be the tastiest cottage pie recipe ever!
To give it a lovely warm flavour, it’s delicately spiced with cinnamon and harissa making it sweet, spicy and savoury all at the same time.
It gets its meaty texture from Dopsu’s meat-free beef pieces and is topped with sweet potato mash to make it extra comforting.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Total Time: 50 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 70 70 g (1 bag) Dopsu No-Beef Pieces
- 0.25 0.25 Onion, chopped
- 0.25 0.25 Clove of Garlic, crushed
- 0.25 0.25 tsp Cinnamon
- 0.25 0.25 tsp Harissa Paste
- 150 150 g Sweet Potatoes, peeled
- 0.25 0.25 Medium carrot, chopped
- 0.25 0.25 tsp Ground cumin
- 0.25 0.25 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 0.25 0.25 Red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 0.25 0.25 tsp Ground smoked paprika
- 0.25 0.25 Vegan beef stock cube
- To serve:
- Tenderstem Broccoli
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / Fan 200°C / Gas Mark 7
- Cut the sweet potatoes into large chunks, then place in a pan, cover with cold water and add a pinch of salt. Cover the pan, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 mins until tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling… Heat a large wok or frying pan with the oil on medium. Add the onions, carrots and peppers then fry for 3 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the Dopsu No-Beef Pieces and fry for a further 2 mins until they begin to colour.
- Add the garlic and spices and cook for a minute to release the spice flavours.
- Stir in the tinned tomatoes, then half fill the empty can with water and add this to the mixture along with the stock cube and plenty of ground black pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 mins before spooning into an ovenproof pie dish.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, drain then mash them with the harissa paste.
- Spoon the sweet potato mash on top of the filling in the dish and rough up with a fork.
- Bake for 20 mins until the top is golden and mixture bubbling. Serve with tenderstem broccoli and peas.
Are you a mushroom lover looking for new ways to enjoy these tasty superfoods?
Try our take on the classic beef Bourguignon with this vegan Mushroom Bourguignon recipe!