Vegan Spiced Cottage Pie with Sweet Potato Harissa Mash Recipe
This vegan cottage pie with sweet potato mash might just be the tastiest cottage pie recipe ever!
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
To give it a lovely warm flavour, it’s delicately spiced with cinnamon and harissa making it sweet, spicy and savoury all at the same time.
It gets its meaty texture from Dopsu’s meat-free beef pieces and is topped with sweet potato mash to make it extra comforting.
Total Time: 50 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 70 70 g (1 bag) Dopsu No-Beef Pieces
- 0.25 0.25 Onion, chopped
- 0.25 0.25 Clove of Garlic, crushed
- 0.25 0.25 tsp Cinnamon
- 0.25 0.25 tsp Harissa Paste
- 150 150 g Sweet Potatoes, peeled
- 0.25 0.25 Medium carrot, chopped
- 0.25 0.25 tsp Ground cumin
- 0.25 0.25 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp Vegetable oil
- 0.25 0.25 Red pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 0.25 0.25 tsp Ground smoked paprika
- 0.25 0.25 Vegan beef stock cube
- To serve:
- Tenderstem Broccoli
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / Fan 200°C / Gas Mark 7
- Cut the sweet potatoes into large chunks, then place in a pan, cover with cold water and add a pinch of salt. Cover the pan, bring to the boil, then simmer for 10-15 mins until tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling… Heat a large wok or frying pan with the oil on medium. Add the onions, carrots and peppers then fry for 3 minutes until soft.
- Stir in the Dopsu No-Beef Pieces and fry for a further 2 mins until they begin to colour.
- Add the garlic and spices and cook for a minute to release the spice flavours.
- Stir in the tinned tomatoes, then half fill the empty can with water and add this to the mixture along with the stock cube and plenty of ground black pepper.
- Bring to the boil, then simmer for 5 mins before spooning into an ovenproof pie dish.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked, drain then mash them with the harissa paste.
- Spoon the sweet potato mash on top of the filling in the dish and rough up with a fork.
- Bake for 20 mins until the top is golden and mixture bubbling. Serve with tenderstem broccoli and peas.
Are you a mushroom lover looking for new ways to enjoy these tasty superfoods?
Try our take on the classic beef Bourguignon with this vegan Mushroom Bourguignon recipe!