Spiced Vegan Bramley Apple Soup with Red Lentils
This spiced vegan Bramley apple and red lentil soup is delicately flavoured with a comforting coconut scent. Serve as it is, or with some warm crusty bread for a heartier meal.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
When it’s cold outside, there’s nothing like a big bowl of steaming hot soup to warm you up and put a smile on your face. A vegetable soup is also a good way to make sure you’re getting your five a day. We love this recipe as it uses creamy coconut milk, tangy apples and subtle spices to create a real delight for the senses! The lentils ensure you stay fuller for longer, too.
Making your own soup is also a great way to use up a glut of fruit or veg. Bramley apples are in season in August and September, but you can buy them all year round in the supermarkets.
Are red lentils good for you?
In a word, yes! They’re packed with fibre, protein, iron and B vitamins and are widely considered to be a ‘superfood’. They also contain a range of phytochemicals, which help protect against chronic diseases like cancer, heart disease and diabetes. Lentils are low in calories, too.
What’s more, red lentils are ‘split’ so they’re easy and quick to cook and act as a thickener for dishes like this one. Buy them dried and simply give them a quick rinse before adding to your soup. A bag of dried lentils will last you a long time, making them a cheap way to add a dose of healthy fibre and protein to your diet.
Tip: This soup can be frozen, once cooled, in tubs or bags for up to three months. Defrost thoroughly and reheat until piping hot before serving.
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 0.5 0.5 tbsp coconut oil
- 0.5 0.5 large leek, trimmed and sliced
- 0.5 0.5 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 0.5 0.5 large bramley apple, cored and chopped
- 1 1 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 1 tsp garam masala
- 0.5 0.5 tsp Bouillon powder
- 0.5 0.5 tsp sea salt flakes
- 120 120 ml water
- 120 120 ml coconut milk
- 32.5 32.5 g dried red lentils
- black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the leek, carrot, celery and apple.
- Cook for a few minutes before adding the garlic and garam masala. Stir fry for a further 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and mix well. Bring everything to a simmer and leave to cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until the carrots and lentils are tender.
- Blend the soup with a stick blender until very smooth, adding a splash of water or coconut milk to thin, if necessary.
- Taste to check the seasoning and adjust if needed. Serve hot.
Each 488g serving provides: 27g Fat, 22g Saturates, 12g Sugars, 0.86g Salt.
Discover more easy and filling vegan lunch ideas!