Vegan Spelt Sultana Scones & Raspberry Chia Jam Recipe
No afternoon tea would be complete without some perfectly baked scones served with jam and cream. Get your aprons on and bake yourself a batch of these healthy, but irresistible, vegan spelt sultana scones and serve with raspberry chia jam and a dollop of whipped coconut cream!
Whip up your own batch of vegan spelt sultana scones! All you need is a baking sheet, greaseproof paper, a large bowl and a rolling pin. Use a sealed jar to store the jam.
Total Time: 40 minutes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- For the scones
- 32.5 32.5 g wholegrain spelt flour
- 0.1 0.1 Tbsp baking powder
- 0.1 0.1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.5 0.5 g ground ginger
- 0.125 0.125 g ground allspice
- 5 5 g coconut sugar
- 5 5 g coconut oil
- 20 20 g sultanas
- 0.1 0.1 Tbsp vanilla essence
- 15 15 g thick vegan yoghurt
- 15 15 ml plant-based milk
- For the jam
- 40 40 g frozen raspberries
- 0.2 0.2 Tbsp chia seeds
- 0.1 0.1 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C (200 fan) and line a large baking sheet with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and spices.
- Cut in the coconut oil: I find it easiest to just rub it all together with my hands until it’s all integrated and has a breadcrumb-like consistency.
- Stir in coconut sugar and sultanas.
- Add the milk, yoghurt and vanilla essence, and mix well until everything is combined and a dough is formed. Again, I find it easiest to use my hands to distribute the moisture effectively.
- Dust a clean work surface with spelt flour and sprinkle a little on a rolling pin. Roll the dough to about 1 inch thick and use a circular cutter to cut out 10 scones. Transfer carefully to the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until lightly golden on top and cooked in the middle. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the jam: put the frozen raspberries in a saucepan over medium-high heat, and cover. Cook for about 10-15 minutes until the raspberries have cooked down into a mushy liquid. Stir in the chia seeds and sugar if you’re using any, and cook for another 5-10 minutes so that it’s quite thick. Take off the heat and leave to cool, then store in a sealed jar in the fridge.
Fancy a twist? Try making these zesty Vegan Orange & Poppy Seed Scones!