Smoky Vegan Chilli Tortilla Cups
This spicy, smoky vegan chilli tastes so good, you’ll even want to eat the bowl!
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
These vegan chilli tortilla cups are fun to make and eat! The edges of the ‘cup’ can be snapped off and used to eat the chilli.
The smoky vegan chilli inside is full of flavour and goodness, and provides plenty of protein from the beans.
Spicy chilli give this dish plenty of kick, but you can always reduce the quantity or leave it out entirely if you’re cooking for children.
Which beans should I use for this recipe?
We’ve used tins of mixed beans for this recipe, but a good mixture of pretty much any beans will taste delicious in a vegan chilli.
Mixed beans can include a variety of beans such as black beans, chickpeas, pinto beans, haricot beans, adzuki beans, and cannellini beans. They will almost always include red kidney beans, which are a must for a good chilli.
Watch out for tinned mixed beans which are sold in chilli sauce. This will add extra spice to your chilli that you may not want!
Is this recipe healthy?
The mixture of beans in these vegan chilli tortilla cups will provide you with plenty of protein and nutrients, and along with the tomatoes and onions it’ll help you towards your 5-a-day, too!
Spices, like paprika and cumin, have also been shown to have some health benefits, so this chilli may even help to increase your iron levels, or help with your digestive and brain health.
This dish provides plenty of carbs for an energy boost, but it is fairly low in fat, so you may want to serve this with a dollop of smashed avocado or vegan sour cream to balance out the meal.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1 tortilla wraps
- 0.25 0.25 tsp vegetable oil
- 0.25 0.25 onion, finely diced
- 0.5 0.5 cloves garlic, puréed
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp smoked paprika
- 0.25 0.25 tsp ground cumin
- 0.5 0.5 x 400g tins mixed beans, drained
- 0.25 0.25 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 60 60 ml vegetable stock
- 0.25 0.25 tsp liquid smoke
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/355°F/Gas 4, then press the tortilla wraps into muffin tins to form cups. Place these into the oven to bake for 10-15 minutes, until crispy and holding their shape.
- For the chilli, heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat, then add the onion, garlic, smoked paprika and ground cumin and cook for 2-3 minutes. Next add the beans, chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock and liquid smoke and simmer for 15-20 minutes, season to taste.
- To serve, fill the tortilla cups with the chilli.
Nutritional information per serving (377g): Calories 446, Fat 6.7g, Saturates 2.3g, Carbohydrate 79g, Sugars 7.5g, Fibre 24g, Protein 23g, Salt 2.2g
Add to your Mexican-inspired feast with these vegan tofu skewers!