Smoked Tofu & Watercress Cannelloni
This delicious vegan cannelloni pasta dish is ideal for a tasty supper or a luscious lunch with a delicious smoky finish and peppery kick.
Total Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour
- 0.5 0.5 red onions, peeled and diced
- 0.5 0.5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 56.25 56.25 g spinach
- 56.25 56.25 g watercress
- 0.5 0.5 packs smoked tofu
- 5 5 tubes of dried cannelloni pasta
- 0.5 0.5 tins chopped tomatoes
- 0.5 0.5 tsps dried thyme
- salt and pepper
- vegetable oil
- 0.25 0.25 tsp smoked paprika
- 18.75 18.75 g melting vegan cheese, grated (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Take a large frying pan and place it over a medium heat. Pour in a splash of oil before adding in the chopped red onions with a pinch of salt. Fry for a few minutes before adding in the garlic and 1 tsp of thyme and stirring through. Tip the cooked onion and garlic mixture into a large mixing bowl.
- Return the pan to the heat, add another splash of oil before tipping in the watercress. Cook for 30 seconds -1 minute or until wilted, then add the watercress into the bowl along with the onion mixture. Repeat with the spinach.
- Drain the tofu and place into a separate bowl. Mash well with a fork then add in the tsp of paprika and a good pinch of salt. Mix.
- Add the tofu into the bowl with the watercress and spinach mix, then combine thoroughly. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Take a piping bag with no nozzle fitted and spoon in the watercress and tofu filling. Pipe the mixture into each cannelloni tube and then place the tubes in a single layer in a large ovenproof dish (use two dishes if needed).
- Pour over the tinned tomatoes and sprinkle with the remaining thyme and some black pepper.
- Scatter over the vegan cheese (if using) and place the cannelloni into the oven for roughly 35 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and the filling is hot in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and leave to rest for a few minutes before serving.
Photography by Lara Jane Thorpe