Vegan Seitan Chilli Tacos
Mexican cuisine is the perfect choice for parties, and these delicious chilli seitan vegan tacos make a tasty and satisfying chilli that your guests can layer with toppings.
Just bring the pot to the table with the salsa and sides and let them assemble their tacos how they want them for enjoyable yummy vegan party food.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
A jar of seitan, a can of black beans and a can of tomatoes from the store cupboard are the base of this tasty vegan seitan recipe. The vegan chilli is packed with protein thanks to the addition of seitan which gives it a meaty texture.
Seitan is regularly used as a vegan meat substitute. It’s made from wheat gluten, which is high in protein but low in carbohydrates and fat. However, while seitan is high in protein, it does not contain enough lysine, which is an essential amino acid, to be considered a complete protein.
Beans are high in lysine, so this chilli seitan vegan tacos recipe has a good combination of seitan and beans for the perfect seitan recipe. Your vegan and non-vegan guests will all be impressed by this tasty vegan taco recipe.
When serving the seitan chilli, we like taco shells, pico de gallo and vegan sour cream with some lettuce. However, jacket potatoes and this vegan chilli with vegan cheese are also delicious.
The vegan chilli can be frozen, and you can put together some quick nachos with leftovers or planned batch cooking in the future.
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutess
Prep Time: 20 minutess
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutess
- For the seitan chilli:
- 0.5 0.5 tbsp olive oil
- 0.25 0.25 onion, roughly chopped
- 0.5 0.5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 0.25 0.25 tsp chipotle chilli flakes
- 0.25 0.25 tsp ground cumin
- 0.25 0.25 tsp ground coriander
- 0.25 0.25 tsp smoked paprika
- 125 125 grams vine tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 100 100 grams tin black beans, drained and rinsed
- 100 100 grams seitan, roughly chopped into 2cm cubes
- 100 100 ml vegetable stock Sea salt
- Vegan sour cream
- For the Pico de Gallo:
- 0.5 0.5 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 0.125 0.125 red onion, finely chopped
- 3.75 3.75 grams coriander, finely chopped
- 0.125 0.125 tsp teaspoon sea salt
- 0.25 0.25 lime, juice only
- 0.75 0.75 tortillas or taco shells per person
- 0.25 0.25 romaine lettuce, roughly shredded
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on a medium heat, and add the onion and garlic. Stir, then cover and soften for 10 minutes on a low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spices to the softened onions, then stir fry for a minute before adding the tomatoes, black beans and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the other tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan on a medium to high heat. Working in batches, fry the cubed seitan for 2 minutes on each side until golden brown, and transfer to a plate lined with kitchen roll as you go.
- Add the fried seitan to the tomatoes and beans, then partially cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the pico de gallo – mix the finely chopped tomato with the red onion, coriander, sea salt and lime juice. Taste and adjust the seasoning as needed.
- Taste the seitan chilli, and add salt as needed. Serve the chilli with the pico de gallo, sour cream, tacos or taco shells and lettuce, and let everyone assemble their own tacos at the table.
Craving tacos for dinner?
Spice up your taco Tuesday with these tasty meat-free vegan tacos!