Vegan Salted Almond Butter and Chocolate Millionaire’s Shortbread Recipe
If you’re looking for a tasty afternoon pick me up that’s gooey and indulgent then look no further than this truly scrumptious salted almond butter vegan millionaire’s shortbread recipe.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
If the sound of salted almond butter caramel alone doesn’t tempt you then perhaps the fact that these vegan millionaire’s shortbread squares are topped with a silky hazelnut chocolate topping will!
To make the vegan shortbread, you’ll simply combine flour, almond flour, sea salt and icing sugar with butter to form a crumbly biscuit base.
While the base bakes, it’s time to make the caramel by melting almond butter, brown sugar and vegan condensed milk together until the sugar has caramelised.
Once it’s cooled, pour it over the shortbread base and allow the mixture to cool for an hour so it’s nice and firm.
Then it’s time to top it all off with a generous layer of chocolate and hazelnut spread and a sprinkle of sea salt to help the flavours really shine.
Total Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 23.75 23.75 g plain flour
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp almond flour
- A sprinkle of sea salt
- 8.75 8.75 g icing sugar
- 16.25 16.25 g dairy-free butter
- 16.25 16.25 g smooth almond butter
- 16.25 16.25 g light brown sugar
- 0.125 0.125 tin of dairy free condensed milk (320g)
- 0.0625 0.0625 tsp sea salt flakes
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp dairy free cream
- 0.375 0.375 Tbsp cornflour
- 25 25 g Mr Organic Dairy Free Chocolate and Hazelnut Spread
- Sea salt flakes
- Start with the shortbread base- preheat your oven to 180C, then combine the flour, almond flour, sea salt and icing sugar in a mixing bowl, then add in the dairy-free spread and use your hands to crumb it into the mix until no big pieces of spread are left and the mixture is crumbly.
- Place the mixture into a 20x20cm square baking tin and press it against the bottom to create an even layer. Pierce the base with a fork multiple times, then bake it in the oven for 20 minutes or until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and cool for at least 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare your salted almond butter caramel: to a non stick pan add the almond butter, brown sugar and condensed milk. Give it a good stir to mix and heat over gentle heat until the sugar is caramelised and well incorporated. Sprinkle in the sea salt flakes and fold them in, then stir the cornflour into the vegan cream and pour the mixture into the caramel. Stir to combine, then remove the caramel from the heat and allow it to cool for 5-10 minutes to slightly harden.
- Pour the caramel on top of the shortbread base and spread it out evenly, then place it in the freezer for at least 1 hour.
- Place the jar of Mr Organic Chocolate and Hazelnut Spread into your warm oven at about 50-60C for 10 minutes, so that the spread becomes soft and runny. Pour about 3/4 of a jar on top of the frozen caramel and spread it across the top with the back of a spoon, then sprinkle with sea salt flakes (optional). Transfer to a fridge or freezer to set for at least 2 hours.
- Remove from the freezer and slice the millionaire shortbread whilst still frozen. Let it rest at room temperature for at least 20 minutes before digging in and enjoy!
- Buy yourself a Vegan Food & Living subscription for just £3 for 3 issues to keep your recipe inspiration going!
Want to make more deliciously dairy and gluten-free treats?
Check out our favourite vegan and gluten-free baking recipes!