Pasta sauces are great for those nights when you just want to throw something together with the minimum fuss possible. This simple dish uses storecupboard ingredients and the result is a rich, tomato pasta sauce with plenty of vegetables to keep you going.
Roasted red pepper & aubergine pasta sauce
Recipe by Richard Church (www.richardchurchphoto.com)
Serves: 4-6 | Prep time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 45 minutes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 aubergine, diced
- 2 small courgettes, diced
- 200g mushrooms, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 x 480g jar of roasted red peppers (or nearest equivalent), drained and diced
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 vegan and gluten-free stock cubes
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- ½ can cold water
- 2 tbsp vegan and gluten-free Worcester sauce (we like Biona’s organic Worcester sauce)
- Heat the oil in a medium to large saucepan and fry the aubergine, courgettes and mushrooms together for about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the garlic and cook for another 3 minutes, then add the roasted peppers. Cook all of this for a further 5 minutes, then add the tomato puree, oregano and stock cubes.
- Pour over the tomatoes and the water, add the Worcester sauce and then bring the whole lot to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes, until you have a thick and rich pasta sauce.
- Serve with your favourite spaghetti.
Original recipe here.
This article contains affiliate links.
Going Vegan by Richard Church features over 100 plant-based recipes, many of which are gluten-free, as well as advice for the new and established vegan.
Going Vegan is available to purchase on Amazon.
About the author
Richard Church is a portrait photographer and plant-based food blogger living and working in London. He’s been passionate about food since he was thirteen years old, when he made his first pizza from a cookbook. In the spring of 2014, he decided on a whim to go vegan. Richard was a voracious meat eater up until then and thought he would last about 2 weeks before giving up. But he’s never looked back…