Red Lentil Coconut Curry
This red lentil coconut curry is a warming curry in the South Indian style, flavoured with aromatic fresh ginger, cumin and coriander. It’s made extra creamy and luscious thanks to the addition of organic coconut milk.
- 3 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 1 tsp mild curry powder
- 0.5 0.5 tsp ground coriander
- 0.5 0.5 tsp turmeric
- Pinch sea salt
- 500 500 ml filtered water
- 270 270 g red lentils
- 1 1 cup organic coconut milk
- 2 2 medium-sized courgettes, diced into ½ inch (1 cm) pieces
- 2 2 Tbsp tamari
- 1 1 cup loosely packed fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Lime slices
- In a heavy-based pan, cook the shallots, ginger and garlic in a splash of filtered water for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spices and salt and stir well. Stir in the water, lentils and coconut milk. Allow the mixture to simmer over a low flame, covered, whilst stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the courgette and tamari, cover and cook until courgette and lentils are tender. Add more water to reach the desired consistency.
- Taste-test then stir in the coriander.
- Serve the curry with white or brown basmati rice to round out this comforting meal. Makes 4–6 servings
Marlene is an international author of the best-selling book ‘Macrobiotics for all Seasons’ and her most recent book ‘Go Vegan’, which is also available worldwide.