Quick Vegan Orzo with Beetroot & Dill Recipe
We love quick and easy vegan recipes! Our quick vegan orzo with beetroot and dill recipe is a colourful and tasty vegan dinner that can be made quickly when you’re in a hurry.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
Orzo is a rice-shaped pasta that is traditionally made from white flour. As orzo is pasta, it cooks quickly, and our recipe’s cooking method is to bake it, so there’s no stirring like in a risotto, which makes this recipe a lot easier.
This vegan orzo recipe uses nitrate-rich beetroots, which the body converts into nitric oxide. This compound dilates the blood vessels, which improves blood flow and lowers overall blood pressure.
Beetroot is loaded with vitamins and minerals, and our quick vegan orzo with beetroot and dill is an exciting and tasty way to include them in your diet.
This risotto-like dish is elegant enough to serve when you have guests over but just as good for a quick weeknight vegan meal.
Total Time: 35 minutes
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp olive oil
- 125 125 beetroot, peeled and grated
- 0.5 0.5 small onion, finely chopped
- 0.5 0.5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 0.5 0.5 stick celery, finely chopped
- 75 75 grams orzo
- 175 175 mls vegetable stock
- Sea salt
- 0.25 0.25 lemon, juice only
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 7.5 7.5 grams dill, roughly chopped
- Vegan sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan/200C. Heat the olive oil in a casserole dish or saucepan on a medium heat, then add the beetroot, onion, garlic and celery. Stir, then cover and soften for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Tip the orzo and 300ml of the vegetable stock into the pan, then stir and bring to the boil. Cover and transfer to the oven to cook for 15 minutes. (I like to oven it rather than leave it on the stove, as it cooks evenly and prevents it sticking to the base of the casserole dish so much)
- After 15 minutes, the orzo should be cooked and just al-dente. Stir in the remaining stock, then taste and season as required with the salt, lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve scattered with the dill and vegan sour cream.
Want more quick and easy vegan recipes?