These vegan pumpkin muffins are packed with warm seasonal flavours like cinnamon, nutmeg and sweet pumpkin and they are just the perfect afternoon treat.
Indulgent yet filled with wholesome ingredients, this is a great combination of ingredients that help you to top up your essential fatty acids. The vegan vanilla frosting is super creamy and decadent and goes perfectly with all the other flavours.
Vegan pumpkin muffins with vanilla icing
- 260g (2 cups) of spelt flour
- 115g (½ cup) of coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoon of mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 240ml (1 cup) of almond milk
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 60ml (¼ cup) of agave nectar or maple syrup
- 170g (¾ cup) of pumpkin puree
For the frosting:
- 150g (1 cup) of cashews, soaked in water for at least 8 hours or overnight
- 246g (1 cup) of coconut cream
- ½ tablespoon of coconut oil
- 100g (1/2 cup) of coconut oil
- 4 tablespoon of agave nectar or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven at 180c
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spices.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the almond milk, coconut oil, agave nectar and pumpkin puree.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and gently fold together. Be careful not to overmix as it will result in a heavy batter.
- Scoop out approximately two tbsp of batter for each muffin case, and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool down in the tray for about 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack and starting on the frosting
- Rinse the soaked cashews and place them into a food processor or blender, along with the other frosting ingredients until you have a smooth and creamy mixture. Place this in fridge for about 30 minutes to firm up before frosting.