Vegan Pulled Mushroom Hoisin Wraps & Crispy ‘Seaweed’ Recipe
The combination of sweet Hoisin sauce, smoky mushrooms and the fresh flavour of cucumber make this vegan Hoisin wraps recipe a must-make!
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
To make this plant-based twist on Hoisin duck, you’ll smother smoky pulled mushrooms with sweet sauce before topping with cucumber sticks, spring onion and a crispy ‘seaweed’ garnish. Heaven!
Total Time: 45 minutes
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 200 200 g chestnut mushrooms
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1.75 1.75 tsp agave nectar
- 1 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 75 75 g spring greens
- Half a cucumber
- 1 1 spring onions (scallions)
- 1.25 1.25 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 0.5 0.5 Tbsp onion marmalade
- 3 3 plain tortillas, warmed
- 7.5 7.5 g crispy onions
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas Mark 7. Using clean hands, tear the chestnut mushrooms into small pieces and add to a baking tray, trying to spread them out as much as possible. Put the tray in the oven for an initial 10-15 minutes, until they start to brown and crisp.
- Meanwhile, to make the smoky dressing, add the soy sauce to a bowl with the agave and smoked paprika and stir it all together.
- For the ’seaweed’, rip the leaves off the spring greens, discard the tough stalks, then layer the leaves over each other, roll them up and finely shred. Add the shredded greens to a large baking tray and sprinkle with a very generous pinch of salt, 1 tsp sugar and a large drizzle of vegetable oil. Give everything a good mix up, then put the tray in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until crispy.
- Once the mushrooms are starting to brown, remove the tray from the oven and pour over the smoky dressing. Mix it all together and return the tray to the oven for 8-10 minutes further until caramelised.
- While the mushrooms caramelise, slice the cucumber in half lengthways and scoop out the seeds with a spoon, then slice into matchsticks, discard the seeds. Trim, then slice the spring onions lengthways into batons.
- Add the tortillas to a tray and place in the oven for 2-3 minutes or until warmed through. Add the hoisin sauce to a bowl with the marmalade and mix it together.
- 7 Once the mushrooms have caramelised, divide the mixture evenly between the warmed tortilla wraps. Dollop over the sticky hoisin sauce, pack with cucumber matchsticks, spring onion batons and garnish with crispy ‘seaweed’ and crispy onions. Serve the wraps with any remaining veg on the side.
Bored of falafel and hummus sandwiches?
Try something new with these epic vegan sandwich recipes!