Quinoa’s not just for savoury meals! The addition of quinoa to these pistachio and quinoa bites are also a great way t0 get some extra protein, iron and fibre in your breakfast, making these bites a great option for breakfast lovers who don’t have much time in the mornings.
Pistachio & quinoa bites
By Fiona Hunter (www.americanpistachios.co.uk)
Makes 12 | Prep 10 mins | Cook 30 mins | Calories 154 (per bite)
- 60g (2oz) quinoa, rinsed
- 100g (3½oz) shelled pistachio, chopped
- 200g (7oz) prunes, pitted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 100g (3½oz) cacao nibs or chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
- Spread the quinoa and pistachio nuts on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the quinoa and nuts from the oven and allow to cool. Reduce the temperature to 160°C/Gas Mark 3.
- Place the prunes, maple syrup and 3 tbsp water in a blender and purée. Spoon the prune mixture into a large bowl and mix with the quinoa, pistachios and cacao nibs.
- Line a 20cm (8in) square tin with greaseproof paper, spoon the mixture into the tin and bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then cut into 12 slices.
This article contains affiliate links.