Vegan Patatas Bravas Recipe
The combination of soft, fluffy potatoes with a spicy, smoky tomato sauce makes this patatas bravas utterly addictive.
This vegan patatas bravas will give you a taste of the Mediterranean. It makes a great side dish, especially served alongside other tapas-style dishes.
For a truly authentic experience, serve it up in the sunshine with a jug of Sangria. Delicioso!
Total Time: 1 hour
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 125 125 g new potatoes, halved
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp olive oil
- 0.5 0.5 cm fresh root ginger
- 0.5 0.5 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 0.25 0.25 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 100 100 g canned chopped tomatoes
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp smoked paprika
- 0.25 0.25 tsp dried mixed herbs
- cayenne papper, to taste
- 0.125 0.125 tsp salt
- Firstly, fill a large pan with water, add in the potatoes and place them onto a medium-high heat. Bring the potatoes to a boil, and cook for about 10-15 minutes until fairly soft.
- While the potatoes cook, drizzle the olive oil into a large wok/frying pan and place onto a medium heat. Then, add in the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli, and fry for 2-3 minutes until the onion is golden. When this is done, add in the chopped tomatoes, smoked paprika, mixed herbs, salt, and some cayenne pepper (the amount depends on how hot you want the dish). Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, allowing the sauce to thicken, until the potatoes are ready.
- When the potatoes are ready, remove them from the heat and drain them. Then, add them into the tomato sauce and stir everything together. Turn up the heat slightly to a medium-high heat and continue to cook the dish for a further 10 minutes or so, until the sauce has thickened and become more of a paste consistency, covering the potatoes. Adjust any of the seasonings and spices to suit your taste.
- Lastly, when the sauce has thickened and the dish is ready, remove it from the heat, top it with some vegusto cheese and serve!