Medicinal Mushroom and Garlic Broth
This flavoursome medicinal mushroom broth packs a nutritious punch thanks to the addition of vitamin D-rich mushrooms. Perfect for autumn lunches!
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
As we head into autumn and the days grow shorter, it’s vital that we ensure we’re getting enough vitamin D in our diets, and mushrooms are a great natural source. In fact, a new report has revealed that mushrooms play a big role in protecting our immune system.
So if you’re looking for a delicious lunch that packs a nutritious punch, try this warming and flavoursome medicinal mushroom broth.
- 1 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 0.5 0.5 whole garlic bulb, cut in half across the bulb
- 0.5 0.5 litre boiling water
- 7.5 7.5 g fresh sage leaves
- 7.5 7.5 g fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 0.5 0.5 red chilli, sliced in half
- 40 40 g Vitamin D mushrooms, finely sliced
- 40 40 g Chestnut mushrooms, diced
- 80 80 g Swiss chard, roughly chopped
- 80 80 g baby spinach, roughly chopped
- 50 50 g vermicelli rice noodles, broken
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the diced chestnut mushrooms and garlic halves, cut side down, and fry gently for 6 minutes until golden brown.
- Next, add the boiling water to the pan along with the herbs, chilli, season with salt and pepper and cook very gently for 30–40 minutes until you have a deeply fragrant broth.
- Add the chard, sliced mushroom and spinach and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the rice noodles, remove from the heat and leave to stand for 5 minutes until the noodles are tender.
- Remove the whole garlic and serve.
If you’re a mushroom fan, we think you’ll love this Mushroom Bourguignon recipe.
The UK and Ireland Mushrooms Producers has partnered with Dr Rupy to create a Medicinal Mushroom and Garlic Broth recipe that features within a new report entitled ‘Mushrooming’ the future of Mushrooms for Immunity: People and Planet.
To view the full report, please visit www.mushroomsaremagic.co.uk