There’s nothing like hot, sweet chestnuts to give you that Christmas feeling. This recipe is a quick and easy version that can be done in about 8 minutes. It uses ready-to-eat whole chestnuts, and the chilli powder adds a slight warmth without being overpowering, and you can have them with your Christmas meal or even as a snack throughout the festive season. A word of warning: they are incredibly moreish.
Vegan maple cinnamon chilli chestnuts
Recipe by Richard Church (www.richardchurchphoto.com)
Serves: 2-4 | Prep time: 1-2 minutes | Cooking time: 6-8 minutes
- 360g (2 packs) whole ready-to-eat chestnuts
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 tbsp unrefined sugar
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ fresh red chilli, thinly sliced, to garnish
- Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan or wok. Pour in the chestnuts and fry on a medium-high heat for about 4 minutes, stirring frequently, until they are browned and a little crisp.
- Add the spices and cook for another minute, then add the sugar and maple syrup and cook for another two minutes or so, until the sauce is thick and sticky.
- Garnish with the chilli slices and serve immediately.