Vegan Maple Bourbon Pecan Pie Recipe
Served warm with a glass of bourbon, and maybe a little coconut whipped cream, this maple bourbon pecan pie is Autumn comfort food at its very best!
To make this delicious vegan pecan pie, all you need is a 9″ flan dish, a couple of small bowls, a food processor, and a saucepan. Rolling pins are optional!
Total Time: 1 hour
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- For the crust
- 11.818181818182 11.818181818182 g wholegrain spelt flour
- 11.818181818182 11.818181818182 g plain / all-purpose flour
- 13.636363636364 13.636363636364 g coconut oil
- 0.18181818181818 0.18181818181818 Tbsp coconut sugar
- 0.18181818181818 0.18181818181818 Tbsp ice water, as needed
- For the filling
- 0.27272727272727 0.27272727272727 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 0.81818181818182 0.81818181818182 Tbsp water
- 5.4545454545455 5.4545454545455 g soya butter
- 6.3636363636364 6.3636363636364 g coconut sugar
- 0.090909090909091 0.090909090909091 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- 18.181818181818 18.181818181818 ml pure maple syrup
- 0.18181818181818 0.18181818181818 Tbsp bourbon
- 13.636363636364 13.636363636364 g pecans
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C (170 fan) and grease a 9inch flan dish with coconut oil. In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseed and water. Stir well then leave to one side.
- Make the crust. You can either throw all the ingredients together in a food processor, adding the water if needed to form a dough, or you can do it by hand. If doing by hand, mix together the flours then cut in the oil. This will make it a crumbly dough. Stir in the sugar then add the water so it forms a proper dough.
- You can roll out the dough properly, but personally, I just pressed it into the greased dish so that the bottom and sides are evenly covered. Chill in the fridge for ten minutes so that the dough is cold and firm, then bake blind for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. In a saucepan, gently melt the butter over a low heat, then stir in the coconut sugar and maple syrup until it’s all dissolved. Pour a tbsp or two into a separate small bowl and mix in the arrowroot to create a thick paste, then pour this mix back into the saucepan (this way the arrowroot is added without forming lumps). Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the flaxseed mix and the bourbon.
- Remove the pie crust from the oven and pour in the filling. Lastly, add the pecans on top, in any arrangement you like (I personally didn’t bother with decoration, I just wanted to get that pie in n’ out of the oven asap). Return to the oven and bake for around 30 minutes, until it’s really bubbling and slightly set.
- Leave to cool completely, and ideally chill in the fridge for an hour or so too, because the setting process continues as the pie cools. If you cut into it too soon the base will be soggy and the filling runny. Don’t do this. Be patient. Your time will come…
Recipe by Kate Gardner
Fancy another slice? Try making this Vegan Lemon Meringue Pie!