Loaded Vegan Nachos with Refried Beans
You can’t beat a bit of indulgent vegan grub, especially when smothered in vegan cheddar style nacho cheese sauce which is perfect for a stack full of nachos!
This vegan nacho cheese recipe is also super healthy as the main ingredient is tofu, making it a quick and easy way to get your cheese fix.
- For the nacho cheese:
- 87.5 87.5 g silken tofu
- 0.75 0.75 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp white miso paste
- 0.25 0.25 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 0.0625 0.0625 tsp garlic powder
- 0.0625 0.0625 tsp turmeric
- 0.0625 0.0625 tsp smoked paprika
- For the refried beans:
- 0.25 0.25 white onion, diced
- 0.75 0.75 cloves garlic
- 0.25 0.25 tsp cumin
- 75 75 g pinto beans
- 0.125 0.125 lime (for juice)
- Soak beans in water overnight, then rinse (or use canned) it’s cheaper to buy dried beans. You could also use black beans or kidney beans but for me Pinto give the tastiest/creamiest final product and they are the most authentic.
- Cook your beans – boil for one hour in water or in a pressure cooker unto pressure for 5 mins.
- Meanwhile fry your onion and garlic until soft, add 1tsp cumin powder add cook it through for 1 minute (if you don’t cook spices through they can leave a powdery taste) then add the beans and the liquid they have been cooked in.
- Leave to cook for 1/2 hour stirring occasionally to avoid sticking to the pan. You may need to add a splash of water as you go if they become very thick.
- Once cooked season to taste with a pinch of salt and pepper and either some fresh lime juice or a splash of liquid from jalapeños for a little kick. Refried beans done.
- Pop all the cheese ingredients in a blender or food processor and blitz until smooth and glossy. You can eat this cold, store in an airtight jar or tupperware in the fridge for up to 1 week (do not freeze!).
- If you want it hot, put the cheese sauce in a small pan on a medium heat and continue to stir, this should only take a couple of mins to warm through. Do not overheat.