Vegan Lentil Balls in Curry Sauce Recipe
Tired of stew and soups? Or is a regular curry just not gonna cut it today? Then how about lentil balls in curry sauce?!
All you need to make this flavourful dish is a large wok, a mixing bowl, a bowl of water, and a plate or board to roll the balls on.
Total Time: 50 minutes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- For the lentil balls
- 2 2 Tbsp vegetable/peanut oil
- 1 1 onion, diced
- 3 3 g caraway seeds
- 1 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 1 tsp minced red chilli
- 2 2 g cumin
- 1 1 flax egg*
- 200 200 g cooked green lentils, drained
- 4 4 Tbsp gram flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 1 Tbsp oil
- For the sauce
- 1 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 2 Tbsp curry powder
- 3 3 tomatoes, puréed in a blender
- 1 1 tomato, diced
- 60 60 ml water
- 1 1 Tbsp finelychopped coriander leaves
- a handful of spinach leaves
- 40 40 g frozen peas
- Rice to serve (optional)
- Oil for frying
- Heat the 2 tbsp of oil in a wok and add the caraway seed, then the diced onion, fry until softened before adding the chilli and the spices.
- Cook for a few seconds whilst stirring then transfer to a mixing bowl with the lentils and flax egg, and give a good stir before partially mashing until about half of the lentils are no longer whole.
- Add the gram flour a tablespoon at a time, stirring until the mixture comes together.
- Now give the wok a quick wipe clean before adding another couple of tablespoons of oil and returning to the heat, heat to a medium high heat.
- Get a small bowl of water and a plate lightly dusted with a few tablespoons of gram flour, and scoop out the lentil mix 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Press it together gently and roll into a ball. Then roll about on the plate and pop in the wok. Between shaping each ball you might want to dip your fingers in the bowl of water and sprinkle it onto your palms, this will help stop the mix from sticking.
- Fry about 4- 6 balls at a time, frying them until crisp and golden on the outside, this will take a few minutes.
- Once the balls are all fried, transfer them to a clean plate and set them aside.
- Now to make the sauce. Add more oil to the pan if needed and fry off your onion until soft and translucent.
- Add the curry powder and stir around for a minute before adding the puréed and chopped tomatoes and the water. Cook down for about 5- 10 minutes and add the spinach, coriander and peas. If you have a lid big enough for you wok cover and let the spinach wilt and the peas cook through before serving, if not it doesn’t matter too much, just give it a lil’ stir every now and then until the spinach has fully wilted.
- Serve over rice and the lentil balls.
*To make a flax egg, mix 1 Tbsp of ground flax/linseed with 2 Tbsp of water. Whisk it well, and chill.
Need some more inspiration? Check out these 20 Vegan Curries for easy weeknight dinners!