Jackfruit Vegan “Tuna” and Sweetcorn Pasta Salad
Succulent jackfruit tuna makes this easy and filling pasta salad a tasty lunch for at home or on the go.
Want more vegan recipes? Try 3 issues of Vegan Food & Living magazine for just £3!
The texture of jackfruit makes it a great alternative to tuna. Stir through pasta with crunchy sweetcorn and red onion and a dollop of homemade mayo for an irresistible vegan tuna pasta salad.
What is Jackfruit?
Jackfruit is a tropical tree fruit which is grown in Asia, Africa, and South America. It’s a large, green fruit, in the same family as figs and breadfruit.
Jackfruit’s stringy, fibrous texture makes it an ideal substitute for meats like tuna, pulled pork, and chicken. It has a mild taste, slightly on the sweet side, which some say reminds them of pulled pork.
Because of its neutral flavour Jackfruit is the ideal base for a variety of dishes as it will allow any seasonings or sauces used to shine through.
Why make vegan tuna?
Tuna is a highly popular choice for a lot of quick lunch and dinner options like sandwiches, salads, and jacket potatoes. Tuna fishing, however, is terrible for the environment and even worse for sea creatures.
Vegan tuna alternatives make it easy to whip up a delicious and satisfying meal without harming any fish. Jackfruit makes a great alternative, but vegan tuna can also be made from chickpeas or soya and can even be bought pre-made from supermarkets.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- For the mayo
- 0.5 0.5 tbsp soya milk
- 1 1 tbsp olive oil
- 0.25 0.25 tsp cider vinegar
- For the tuna
- 100 100 g tin jackfruit, drained
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp vegetable oil
- 0.25 0.25 sheet nori seaweed, flaked
- 0.25 0.25 tbsp capers, chopped
- 0.25 0.25 gherkin, finely diced
- 0.25 0.25 tsp lemon juice
- 0.25 0.25 tsp soy sauce
- For the pasta salad
- 70 70 g pasta, cooked as per packet instructions
- 25 25 g sweetcorn
- 0.25 0.25 red onion, diced
- 0.25 0.25 handful fresh parsley, chopped
- To make the mayo, add the soya milk, olive oil and cider vinegar into a bowl and use a stick blender to blend the ingredients.
- Prepare the jackfruit by cutting out the cores and removing the seeds.
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized pan over a medium heat, then add the jackfruit, nori, capers and gherkin to the pan and cook for 5-10 minutes until the jackfruit is soft, tender and starts to fall apart.
- Add the lemon juice and soy sauce to a pan and heat for a further 2 minutes until mixture is almost dry. Leave to cool.
- Once the mixture is cool, add the mayo and stir well. Add this to the pasta, sweetcorn, red onion and parsley and mix together.
Each 235g serving provides: Calories 355, Fat 18g, Saturates 2.3g, Carbohydrate 46g, Sugars 18g, Fibre 4g, Protein 6.2g, Salt 0.36g
Looking for more vegan fish? Here are 14 vegan fish dishes that taste like the real thing!